Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

6 AND 8 HIGH STREET, BURTON'SLB50162

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
17/10/2005
Local Authority
Renfrewshire
Planning Authority
Renfrewshire
Burgh
Paisley
NGR
NS 48363 64041
Coordinates
248363, 664041

Description

1929-30, Henry Wilson. 3-storey, roughly 5-bay by 3-bay Art Deco classical shop building occupying prominent corner site with paired giant Ionic pilasters to 1st and 2nd floors, curved corner treatment, and stepped parapet; shopfronts at ground altered. Steel framed building with white faience cladding at 1st and 2nd floors; limestone or concrete to ground of Dyer's Wynd elevation. Mid- or later 20th century glazed shopfronts at ground with bays divided by simple pilasters; deep fascia framed by corniced architrave which is also 1st floor cill course; stylised paired giant Ionic pilasters to 1st and 2nd floors with metal-framed glazing between and wider bay at corner; reeded cast-iron panels with central rosettes dividing 1st and 2nd floors; entablature above with key-pattern cornice and anthemion band; stepped parapet with blind Burton's panel at centre and anthemion finial above; very plain outer bays. Service door to rear (Dyer's Wynd) elevation with moulded, shouldered architrave encompassing panel inscribed BURTON BUILDINGS. Interior reconstructed.

Statement of Special Interest

Situated at Paisley Cross on the corner of the High Street and Gilmour Street. The rear elevation faces Dyer's Wynd.

A well-detailed Art Deco shop building occupying a very prominent position in the centre of Paisley. Henry (or Harry) Wilson was based in Leeds and was architect to the Montague Burton tailoring chain.

Burton's was a pioneering clothing chain, established by a Jewish-Russian immigrant, Meshe Osinsky, who came to England at the age of 15 in 1900 and changed his name to Morris (then later Montague) Burton. He started as a door-to-door salesman selling accessories, but by about 1905 had opened a shop in Chesterfield selling ready-made suits. He felt that it should be possible to make made-to-measure suits at prices that working men could afford and found a company, Zimmerman Bros, in Leeds who could supply these. Burton's grew very rapidly, first in the Midlands and then across Britain: in 1919 he had 40 shops; 10 years later there were 200 branches. From 1910, Burton's manufactured their own clothes, from a factory in Leeds, and this became the largest clothing factory in the world, employing 10,000 workers and producing 30,000 suits a week. Burton's had a strong presence on the High Street, with Art Deco buildings designed mostly by Henry Wilson. These were often built to incorporate dance halls or billiard halls on the upper floor, as a way of attracting customers. It is not known whether the Paisley branch incorporated either of these.

References

Bibliography

Dean of Guild Plans at Paisley Museum, lodged December 1929 (not seen, information from Duncan Macintosh at Renfrewshire Council). ARCHITECT AND BUILDING NEWS, September 12 1930, p344. First appears on 4th edition OS map (circa 1934). F A Walker, THE SOUTH CLYDE ESTUARY, (RIAS 1986), p13.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 AND 8 HIGH STREET, BURTON'S

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/04/2024 04:45