Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SOUTH WOOD ROAD, SANDHILL HOUSE INCLUDING STABLE BUILDINGLB50154

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
23/09/2005
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Parish
Dundonald
NGR
NS 34388 28604
Coordinates
234388, 628604

Description

Later 19th century with early 20th century additions. 2 storey and attic, 6-bay mansion house with service wing extending to NW; basic square plan with projecting bays on NE, SE and SW elevation; piended roof with deep eaves and tall, banded and stepped stacks in English neo-Tudor style. Red brick with sandstone dressings. String course, 1st floor cill course; long and short quoins. Fairly regular fenestration arranged in bays; predominantly bipartite and tripartite windows with sandstone mullions; transoms to some ground floor windows; cat-slide dormers to attic. Half-timbering to some gables. Later conservatory attached to left bay of SW elevation. SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 6-bay elevation divided into two halves. Timber-boarded front door in roll-moulded, depressed arch surround, slightly recessed to centre of right-hand section; 5 steps to door; carvings of leek and thistle at corners; Robertson family coat-of-arms above. Semicircular turret to left of door; bipartite windows above door and to right. 2-storey and attic left half: slightly later single storey, 4-light canted bay to left and centre with broad entablature; tripartite window with stone mullions and transoms in right bay at ground; bipartite windows to 1st floor; 3 dormers to attic.

SW ELEVATION: 3-bay elevation; central projecting half-hexagonal bay with bipartite windows at each floor on main face and single windows at each floor on outer faces; prominent half-timbered gable crowning; bipartite windows elsewhere; timber conservatory at ground to left.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting flue at right; flanking door; single windows to left at ground and 1st floor; Single storey and attic service wing attached at left.

NE (ELEVATION): 5-bay elevation composed of 4 separate blocks: advanced left bay with later 3-light window projecting at ground with broad entablature and 2 single windows above. Recessed single storey central section. Projecting section to right with canted window to ground and square window with chamfered corners above; half-timbered gable crowning; Single-storey and attic, 2-bay kitchen wing to outer right with gabled dormers to roof.

SERVICE WING: L-plan, single storey and attic multi-gabled service wing advanced from NW elevation with single storey piend-roofed outshot and coped walls enclosing service court to NW. Prominent brick chimney stacks and irregular fenestration.

INTERIOR: Timber panelled lobby with tiled floor; cloakroom and WC to right of entrance door with early 20th century lavatory. Timber staircase with turned balusters; tripartite stair window with stained glass leaded lights. Red brick fireplace to study. Large dining room with timber panelling, elaborate fireplace and serving hatch. Large carved oak chimneypiece by Robert Thompson in drawing room, with small carved mouse at the foot of base which was Thompson's craftsman signature. The original bath and shower remain in a 1st floor bathroom and the original plumbing system is in good working order. There is an observatory in the attic, but this cannot be seen from the exterior. Timber panelled doors and simple plaster cornicing throughout

Predominantly 2-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Red tiles on roof of main house; slate to kitchen wing; large stacks with chamfered shoulders and stepped heads; some red clay cans.

OUTBUILDINGS AND STABLES: 3 blocks of simple, gabled brick stables to NW of house. Long 4-door range to left with Carron Ironworks stable fittings; M-gabled range recessed to rear. Former tack room / grooms' room to right (partially destroyed by fire, 2004) with wallhead chimney stack and cast-iron fire place inside; detached stable block to rear.

Statement of Special Interest

Sandhill is believed to be the first house built in the Southwood suburb of Troon. This area soon became a millionaire's haven with mansions being constructed in the years leading up to the First World War, a consequence of the railway connection to Glasgow which made Troon a popular holiday destination, especially for golfers. Almost every house was designed by a different architect, enhancing the exclusive quality of each mansion and hence the area. Sandhill is roughly in the style of William Leiper, bearing a similarity to Piersland Lodge, in Troon, of 1898-9, which he designed for Sir Alexander Walker, the grandson of Johnny Walker of whisky fame. However, the present owner was told that the house was by a French architect. Sandhill is believed to have been built for the Duke of Portland, who owned Sandhill cottage, which previously stood on the site. The Duke of Portland built the railway line that originally connected Troon to Glasgow. It is rumoured that the house was intended to be the home for the Dowager Duchess, but the first occupier of Sandhill was William Alexander Robertson, a wine merchant from Glasgow; it is the Robertson family crest that sits above the entrance door. By 1905 the house was owned by the Robertson family, the name cited on the valuation roll at this date is Alexander Cockburn Robertson; it is possible that the crest was commissioned once the family had been elevated from tenant to owner. The 3rd edition OS map (circa 1911) indicates that several additions were made at about this time, including the bay windows on the SE and NE elevations and the conservatory. Sandhill remained in the Robertson family until 1955 when it was purchased by the Spencer-Nairn family and turned into a riding school.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition OS Map (1896). Additions shown on 3rd Edition OS map (1911). M Davies CASTLE AND MANSIONS IN AYR 1991, p108. R Close AYRSHIRE & ARRAN ' AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE 1992, p49. Estate Agents Brochure. Owner's own research which includes copies of the valuation rolls.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SOUTH WOOD ROAD, SANDHILL HOUSE INCLUDING STABLE BUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 11:36