Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KEIG, GLEBE FIELD HALL AND STABLESLB50132

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
18/07/2005
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Keig
NGR
NJ 61155 19200
Coordinates
361155, 819200

Description

Probably John Smith, 1834; E range converted 1930s. Pair of single storey and attic, gabled ranges originally U-plan steading with N range now reduced to linking boundary wall enclosing courtyard incorporating former stable with hayloft to W and further range converted to hall at E. Lime harl over rubble.

STABLE AND HAYLOFT: rectangular-plan range.

SE ELEVATION: gabled elevation incorporating door to right at ground and hayloft opening in gablehead, both with boarded timber doors.

SW ELEVATION: door to left of centre with 2 small air vents to right.

NW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 windows at ground and single window in gablehead.

NE ELEVATION: courtyard elevation with broad 2-leaf boarded timber door at right and further opening to left.

HALL: L-plan range.

SE ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 windows at round and further window in gablehead.

NE ELEVATION: 2 widely-spaced ventilation slits, now glazed.

NW ELEVATION: gabled elevation with later small lean-to timber porch at right of centre.

SW ELEVATION: courtyard elevation with almost full-height gabled projection at outer left incorporating deep-set door on return to right, window immediately to right on set-back face of hall. Modern windows. Stable range with Scotch slate, hall with Welsh slate. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.

LINK WALL: semicircular-coped rubble wall linking NW elevations and forming U-plan courtyard. Small ventilation-type opening to left and broad pedestrian opening to right.

INTERIORS: hall altered 1930s, stable largely renewed.

Statement of Special Interest

The former church hall and stable range are listed for their early date and strategic setting as part of the fine early group comprising the separately listed former manse and Keig Church. Both church and manse were designed by Aberdeen architect John Smith. Situated on raised ground, the group was erected just a few years after the nearby Castle Forbes (1815-21) and Telford's Bridge of Keig (1817). This small steading-type courtyard is referred to in early documents as 'offices to the manse'. The east range was converted to accommodate the church hall during 1930s, with evidence of an earlier fireplace behind the sink in the northerly kitchen, possibly indicative of a former bothy. The Third Statistical Account declares 'The Rev J Stewart (1906-37),' , had part of the manse steading converted into a hall which has been a valuable parish asset'. The parishes of Keig, Tullynessle and Alford have now (2005) joined and worship together at Alford; Keig Church (owned by Keig Church Trust) still holds occasional services.

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of property convenor and clerk. Ed Henry Hamilton, THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1960), p250. Ian Shepherd RIAS, GORDON (1994), p98. 1st and 2ND editions OS maps.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KEIG, GLEBE FIELD HALL AND STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/10/2022 00:45