Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
NS 38254 48446
238254, 648446


Earlier 19th century with later 19th century additions and 20th century alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay gabled farmhouse with L-plan byre ranges forming asymmetrical U-plan courtyard to E (front), enclosed by coped boundary wall with corniced gatepiers; circa 1860 ruinous 2-bay extension adjoining to rear. Sandstone and whinstone rubble (formerly harled) with sandstone ashlar dressings; some brick additions and alterations to byres. Eaves course; raised quoin strips; window margins.

HOUSE: late 20th century piend-roofed porch to centre of E (front) elevation; regular fenestration. N elevation: M-gable with byre adjoining main house to left; circa 1860 addition to right with later doorway at ground and blocked pigeon loft with alighting-ledge at gable apex. W elevation: regularly fenestrated 2-bay addition to left with large windows; fenestrated single bay of original house recessed to right. Blind gables to S with byre adjoining original house.

Non-traditional uPVC windows to original house; sash and case windows to addition with 12-pane glazing at ground and 4-pane glazing at 1st floor. Coped gablehead stacks to original house with thake-stones and yellow clay cans. Ashlar coped skews. Graded grey slate to original house; temporary roofing felt to addition.

INTERIOR: flagged hallway; curved sandstone staircase; late Victorian painted cast-iron chimney piece with scrolled brackets and foliate motifs in sitting room; contemporary decorative cast-iron fender.

N RANGE: (former threshing barn). L-plan, partly un-roofed. Raised ashlar margins to most openings. Timber-boarded door in E elevation. S (principal elevation to courtyard): 2 square-headed vehicle entrances to centre; slit window to outer right; arched vehicle entrance to left of centre; doorway to outer left with flanking slit windows. 3 slit windows to E gable. N elevation largely rebuilt in red brick, slightly behind original wall-line. Piended roof to N corner.

S RANGE: simple L-plan byre, adjoining house. Early 20th century lean-to brick addition in courtyard re-entrant angle. Asymmetrical gable to E (see Notes). 20th century tripartite window to W (rear). French door to left of S elevation; later addition advanced to right.

SE BYRE: later 19th century. Gabled byre. Whinstone rubble with long and short droved sandstone dressings. Irregular openings. Corrugated iron roof.

BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND GATEPIERS: corniced gatepiers with chamfered corners, recessed panels and pyramid caps. Simple, lower pyramid-topped gatepiers flanking to each side for pedestrian gates (S foot-gate walled up). Coped quadrant boundary walls. Cast-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of this type of 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse, occupying a prominent position on the road. It probably dates from the 1830s: the farm is not shown on any of the early 19th century maps, although there is a farm called 'Lee' on Roy's map of 1747. The plastic windows are unfortunate, but the North wing is very fine (despite its dilapidated state), and unlike anything else in the Parish. A horse mill shown on the OS maps shows that this wing formerly contained a threshing barn. Comparison with other farms of this type (for example, Mains of Aiket), would suggest that the section of this wing closest to the house probably contained the stable. The rear elevation of this wing is rather peculiar, as the original wall appears to have been dismantled, and rebuilt in red brick several feet inside the original wall line. The South byre is a lot plainer than the North range, but although it appears to have been altered several times, it is almost exactly the same shape as shown on the 1st edition OS map. The addition to the rear of the house was built between the publication of the 1st and 2nd edition OS maps, possibly in the 1860s.



Appears on 1st edition OS map (1858); alterations shown on 1897 and 1911 OS maps.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LEAHEAD WITH BYRES, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2023 11:43