Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

SKELMORLIE, 10 SHORE ROAD, REDESDALE INCLUDING FORMER SERVICE WING, BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERSLB50046

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
07/01/2005
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Largs
NGR
NS 19240 68088
Coordinates
219240, 668088

Description

Circa 1860. 2-storey with single-storey and attic former service wing to side, roughly rectangular-plan Italianate villa with deep, bracketed eaves, bracketed decorative M-gables to E and W, arched decorative window-heads, semicircular bay window to W, and open gabled porch. Squared, snecked, tooled red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Base course, string course, cill course. Plain ashlar window margins.

E (FRONT) ELEVATION: M-gabled bay to centre: 2-leaf timber panelled door with round-arched fanlight and bracketed porch with low side-walls and timber columns with shaft rings; 3 windows at ground to left; depressed-arch mezzanine window above; 2 windows at 1st floor with fan-shaped carving to window heads. Slightly recessed bay to right of entrance with tripartite window at ground and bipartite window at 1st floor. Service wing to left with 4 windows at ground and 2 gabled dormers breaking eaves to attic.

N ELEVATION: 1 window at ground; 2 windows at 1st floor.

W (GARDEN) ELEVATION: unsympathetic late 20th century conservatory on brick base at ground to principal house; bow window at ground behind conservatory with stone mullions, dentilled eaves course and painted metal roof with decorative cast-iron balcony railings; bipartite window above; bipartite window at 1st floor to right with console-bracketed balcony. Former service wing recessed to right with mid 20th century lean-to conservatory and gabled dormer to attic

S ELEVATION OF FORMER SERVICE WING: 2-bay gable to left with paired consoles to eaves; sandstone porch at ground with 2-leaf timber panelled door, round-arched windows and console-bracketed eaves. Swept-roof section to right with wallhead stack.

Plate glass in timber sash and case windows to main house; non-traditional uPVC glazing to former service wing. Short red sandstone stacks; cream clay cans with decorative Greek-key bands, some with red-clay topper cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: half-glazed timber panelled lobby door; barley-twist stair balusters and tapered octagonal newel post with paterae; skylight over stair; decorative cornicing to principal rooms; plain cornices elsewhere; timber panelled interior doors throughout.

Statement of Special Interest

An exceptionally well-detailed Italianate house, strongly influenced by the domestic work of Alexander Thomson (compare with Thomson's Craig Ailey at Kilcreggan, particularly the treatment of the bow window). It is not known who the architect was, although the feuing conveyance shows that that the land was sold in 1860 to Hugh Kennedy, a wright and builder from Partick (Glasgow). It seems unlikely that this house was designed by a builder, although Alexander Thomson did publish his designs in pattern books. The addition of the conservatory on the West elevation is highly insensitive, although fortunately the bow window is untouched behind it. The main part of the house retains its original timber windows, and the chimney pots with Greek-Key borders are a particularly nice touch. Internally, the plaster cornicing and interior doors still survive, although all the original fireplaces have been removed. The newel post and stair decorative balusters are a good example of West Coast detailing. The main house and former service wing are in separate ownership.

References

Bibliography

Shown on 2nd edition OS map (1897). Information on the conveyancing from Rob Close.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SKELMORLIE, 10 SHORE ROAD, REDESDALE INCLUDING FORMER SERVICE WING, BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/08/2022 04:19