Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

74 AND 76 NETHERLEE ROAD, BRAEHEAD VILLA, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB50033

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/12/2004
Local Authority
Glasgow
Planning Authority
Glasgow
Burgh
Glasgow
NGR
NS 58453 60070
Coordinates
258453, 660070

Description

Alexander Thomson, circa 1853. 2-storey symmetrical semi-detached "parsonage style" double villa. Coursed sandstone to principal elevation excepting squared and snecked inner bays. Some stonework tooled. Base course, cill courses, canted bays, hoodmoulds, overhanging eaves. Unusual glazing. Chamfered openings.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to outer left, advanced gable with 4-light canted bay to ground and 1st floor. To right, timber 2-leaf entrance door with bipartite fanlight above with recessed shelter/veranda to right with pair of small narrow windows, all set under continuous monopitch slated roof. Above, 5-light window. To right, mirror image.

S ELEVATION: some changes to openings.

Predominantly original glazing, unusually deep-set within timber sash and cases. Mostly 2-pane or single pane over 3-panes. Interior meeting rail angled to slope downwards. Grey slates. Large gable and central ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: (No 76) good cornices and ceiling roses to hall, ground floor and first floor principal rooms. Painted and etched glass fanlight to inner entrance door. Turned cast-iron baluster with timber handrail. Evidence of simple stencilled decoration in 1st floor principal room uncovered during recent (2004) renovation.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: (probably re-sited, see Notes) to E, squared and snecked tooled sandstone stepped wall with blank armorial panel and ball finial detailing.

Statement of Special Interest

An important double villa by celebrated Scottish architect Alexander "Greek" Thomson in a "parsonage style".

Built for Robert and James Couper of the Millholm Paper Mills. The Coupers later moved to two nearby adjacent houses including the exceptional Thomson villa of Holmwood (see separate listing).

Robert Couper expanded the paper mill in 1853 and invited his brother James to join him in the business at this time and it is likely that Braehead Villa was built to allow the brothers to work closely together. There is some uncertaintly about whether the villa was built as one house and soon after divided. The Coupers also commissioned Thomson to built a very similar semi-detached pair of houses in Cove (Shore Road, Ashlea and Ellerslie - see separate listing) as a summer residence.

The front garden has been considerably narrowed due to road widening in the 1960s. The front wall was moved and the original single entrance altered to form entrances at either end.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1856-9). G Stamp, ALEXANDER "GREEK" THOMSON (1999) pp175-6.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 74 AND 76 NETHERLEE ROAD, BRAEHEAD VILLA, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 07:45