Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MANSE ROAD, COLMONELL MANSE, INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB49938

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/08/2004
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Parish
Colmonell
NGR
NX 14388 85772
Coordinates
214388, 585772

Description

1822; later additions and alterations 1908-10, Mr Stevenson, architect. Large, 2-storey, basement and attic 3-bay manse with similar later bay to left. Stone stair (enclosed below) with iron railings leading to moulded doorpiece with panelled frieze and cornice over, part-glazed 2-leaf timber outer door and later decorative timber glazed inner door. Later canted oriel to left; 2 piended and canted later dormers. 2 windows to basement plus close to rear beneath later bay. Regular fenestration with raised, dressed margins and cills (painted); strip quoins and eaves cornice. Rendered.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration. Door to centre left; stair windows above; flanking single windows to basement, elevated ground and 1st floor; later bay to right with smaller slit windows. 2 piended dormers to attic; 2 skylights.

NE GABLE: windowless, bar small slit window to centre basement.

SW GABLE: ground raised; small slit window to ground left, window to right; 1st floor window to left.

Timber sash and case glazing throughout, predominantly 12-pane, windows to ground altered to form 4-pane plate glass sashes. Grey slates; coped end stacks, some original moulded clay cans; straight stone skews. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: part seen (2004). Hall with curved stone stair, plain cast-iron balustrade and mahogany handrail. Plain cornicing; Greek key pattern cornice. Timber panelled doors (6 fielded panels) in moulded surrounds, some corner roundels. Timber chimneypiece with tiled hearth in later wing.

ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: detached single storey piend-roofed building with arched cart entrance to outer left; large rectangular opening; 2 small square windows and 3 timber boarded doors. Grey slates; catslide roof vents; end stacks. Coalhouse to rear of house with corrugated-iron roof; attached to high coped rubble wall. Similar walls enclosing courtyard.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a locally significant building, purpose-built as the manse for the adjacent Parish Church (separately listed). Located beyond the entrance to the churchyard, in large grounds overlooking the River Stinchar and the ruins of Craigneil Castle beyond, the size of the manse, even before its additions, and its attractive site indicate the important position held by the minister. The construction of the manse would have been funded by the heritors and although appropriately not a lavish house, it has the hallmarks of a good traditional building of the period. The decorative entrance doorpiece and the panelled doors and surrounds inside follow the fashion of the day. The outbuilding at the rear was likely used as a stable, carthouse and ancillary accommodation. The Ordnance Survey map of 1858 shows a formally laid out walled garden, probably a kitchen garden, to the north west of the manse, some of which survives. The additions to the manse of 1908-10 are in-keeping with the form, material and scale of the original building. The plate glass in the ground floor front windows, also from this date, is part of the history of the building and illustrates a change in technology and taste.

References

Bibliography

Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MANSE ROAD, COLMONELL MANSE, INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 06:17