Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1 BONFIELD ROAD, STRATHKINNESS INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLLB49916

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
03/08/2004
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
St Andrews And St Leonards
NGR
NO 45759 16222
Coordinates
345759, 716222

Description

Dated 1909. 2-storey Arts and Crafts style former Youth House, now private dwelling. Harled with predominantly ashlar sandstone dressings. Base course, some hoodmoulds.

N ELEVATION: off-centre wide round-arched keystoned and voussoired doorway. To right, 2-bay section with flat-roofed dormer above. To far right, advanced 2-bay gable with 1909 datestone. To left, advanced canted implied tower breaking eaves. Single bay section to outer left.

S ELEVATION: to left, large advanced single bay canted shaped gable with ball finials, 6-light window to ground, tripartite above. To right, 3-bay section now with central french window, pair of flat-roofed dormers above.

W ELEVATION: dominated by advanced canted implied tower breaking eaves with doorway in re-entrant angle.

E ELEVATION: near-blank elevation. Modern windows, predominantly modern roof tiles. Large stacks to N gable and S elevation. Smaller stack to E gable apex.

INTERIOR: almost entirely moderised due to fire damage (see Notes).

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: to NE, single-storey canted tower with tripartite window with lower piended roof section to N. Red tile to tower, pantiles to lower section.

GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: to N, roughly squared and snecked sandstone wall with flat coping with tall, deep round-arched pedestrian gateway with timber 2-leaf shaped gate forming circle with arch above. To far W square pier with ball finial. To E, low square harled gate piers.

Statement of Special Interest

Although there is as yet no documentary evidence it is likely that this building is the work of Paul Waterhouse (1861-1924). The former Youth House is a significant part of Strathkinness' social history. The Youth House was built by Mrs Younger of Mount Melville as a Women's and Girl's club with other local groups also using the building. Mr and Mrs Younger bought the Mount Melville estate in 1900 and commissioned Waterhouse to build their estate house (later it became Craigtoun Hospital). Waterhouse completed many other commissions for the Youngers and their ties were further cemented when a son of the Youngers married the elder daughter of the Waterhouses in 1921. Mrs Younger took a keen interest in the welfare of the inhabitants of nearby Strathkinness and also helped to fund building The Men's Club (which housed a library) in 1907 and the Nurse's House in 1926 which provided healthcare for locals for a modest fee.

In 1945 the Youth House was obtained for the County and was used by the County Youth Committee principally for residential groups. The building was substantially damaged by fire in 1976 (with up to half of the roof lost in the fire) and was later sold as a private dwelling. One of the two grass tennis courts built in the large terraced, sloping grounds remains.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey Map (1912-13). N Seed, STRATHKINNESS' A GLIMPSE OF A SCOTTISH VILLAGE, pp100-102. E Williamson,

SOME OBSERVATIONS ON THE CAREER OF PAUL

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 BONFIELD ROAD, STRATHKINNESS INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 05:20