Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

DAVIDSTON, ROAD BRIDGE OVER FORMER DUNDEE AND NEWTYLE RAILWAYLB49913

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
03/08/2004
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Newtyle
NGR
NO 31444 39556
Coordinates
331444, 739556

Description

Circa 1868, contractors Grainger and Grainger, Edinburgh. Single-span, round-headed arch road bridge over deep cutting of former Dundee and Newtyle Railway. Bull-faced squared rubble; rusticated voussoirs and intrados; smooth ashlar impost, parapet base and flat coping with chamfered edges.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of railway bridge architecture on Scotland's first passenger railway.

The Dundee and Newtyle Railway Act received Royal Assent in 1826, and work began on the line in 1827; the line opened in 1831. The line originally ran between Ward Road in Dundee and the village of Newtyle. It was unusual in that it incorporated 3 inclined planes that required stationary engines to pull the trains uphill; these were known as the Law Incline, the Balbuechly Incline and the Hatton Incline. The Hatton Incline was situated just to the SE of Newtyle.

In 1867 the Newtyle Deviation Act was passed, allowing for a deviation to the line to avoid the Hatton Incline, and enabling the line to be used by locomotive engines throughout. Although the Davidstone bridge crosses the original line (the deviation began just to the north), it appears that until the deviation, there was no bridge at this site. While the deviation was being built, the Davidston bridge was also constructed to provide a safer way to cross over the line at this point.

This section of the line was finally closed in 1958.

References

Bibliography

O.S. Maps, 1865-7, 1902-3. THE RAILWAY MAGAZINE, August, October and December 1951. Dr Niall Ferguson, DUNDEE & NEWTYLE RAILWAY (1995).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DAVIDSTON, ROAD BRIDGE OVER FORMER DUNDEE AND NEWTYLE RAILWAY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/08/2022 05:00