Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BURNSIDE OF LETHAM INCLUDING WATERMILL WITH WHEEL AND STEADINGLB49899

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/07/2004
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Scoonie
NGR
NO 37029 4082
Coordinates
337029, 704082

Description

Mid to late 18th century farm group with later alterations.

FARMHOUSE: front re-cast mid 19th century. 2-storey 3-bay farmhouse with single storey former byre wing. Coursed sandstone with raised ashlar quoins and 1st floor cill course to S, predominantly whitewashed rubble with irregular massive quoins to other elevations.

S ELEVATION: part-glazed timber door in bay to centre, bipartite windows in flanking bays, regular fenestration to 1st floor.

N ELEVATION: largely unaltered with door to left of centre and small window in bay to right at ground, stair window to centre and further small window to left at 1st floor. Single storey former byre wing with small window to outer left.

Small-pane glazing in modern outward-opening timber windows. Modern red pantiles. Gable stacks to W and E with thackstanes and cans.

INTERIOR: modernised.

WATERMILL WITH WHEEL: pantiled piend-roofed rubble range to SW with large irregular sandstone quoins and margins. Earth floor.

W ELEVATION: bay to right of centre with lean-to roof of wheelhouse, timber-lintelled door and tiny opening to right. 6-spoke steel-framed now overshot wheel in situ. Mill lade, now disused, on brick piers to left. Small openings above to outer left and right.

E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: door to left of centre with opening above, further 2-leaf door to right.

INTERIOR: access to water mill mechanism through timber boarded section. Riddling pans supported at 1st floor on timber beams with shoot below.

STEADING: rubble, U-plan with double piended range projecting to SE and piended mill building (see above) to SW. Variety of original openings to courtyard S elevation including broad door below hayloft door with flanking windows to left, 2 segmental cart arches to outer left. Predominantly corrugated roofing but pantiles retained over cart arches and partly to projecting range to SE.

INTERIOR: some timber trevises remain in range to N.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of an early farm complex with a now-rare waterwheel and associated machinery in situ. Burnside appears on Ainslie's 1775 map and was renamed 'Burnside of Letham' in the late 1980s. By 1964 the property was no longer in use and it lay empty until being renovated circa 1992. The watermill was originally undershot but is now overshot and was last used in 1962. As there is no millstone but riddling pans instead, it seems likely that the present watermill was chiefly used for separating chaff from grain for animal feed and perhaps to supply the Fife malting industry. The mill dam, no longer extant, was originally to the West.

An early photograph and map evidence shows that between 1855 and 1893 four covered cattle courts existed within the U-plan steading. This is in keeping with the growth in the cattle industry which resulted in cattle numbers on British farms increasing by one third between 1864 and 1874. They appear to have been demolished some time in the 20th century.

References

Bibliography

John Ainslie's map of Fife and Kinross at www.nls.uk (1775). 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps (1852-5 & 1893-5). Further information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BURNSIDE OF LETHAM INCLUDING WATERMILL WITH WHEEL AND STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 15:09