Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MILTON PRIMARY SCHOOL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGSLB49861

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/2004
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Parish
Old Kilpatrick
NGR
NS 42646 74359
Coordinates
242646, 674359

Description

Stewart and Paterson, 1905. 2-3 storey 8-bay Greek cross plan Renaissance style school building with Baroque details, including a lantern with louvred ventilators. Squared, stugged red sandstone with ashlar dressings. Roll-moulded ashlar base course, moulded first floor sill course, dentilled cornice broken by open pediments, continuous blocking course. Gibbs surrounds to first floor windows. Small modern single-storey extension to rear

S ELEVATION: central six bays advanced flanked by recessed entrance bays. Central bays (2-storey): pair of tripartite windows on each floor; square-headed with moulded architraves to ground floor. Segmental-headed central first floor windows have brackets below sill course and prominent keystones within open pediments.

Entrance bays (3-storey) with boys' and girls' entrances: raised ashlar doorways with shouldered architraves and broken semicircular pediments containing square windows; signage to friezes; 2 small windows to first floor.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: wide full-height canted bays with three floors of 4 square windows to central block.

N ELEVATION: pair of triple windows to single storey central block. Single storey toilet block to left and single door to right. Harled to main block.

2-leaf panelled outer doors. Panelled glazed inner door to E, modern replacement to W. Tall 3-pane timber sash and case windows to central block; 4-pane top-hoppers to canted bays. Piended grey slate roofs. Baroque ventilator spire with bell-cast lead cupola and doric columns with heavy cornice. Large rooflights to ridge of main block. Corner stacks to rear. Cast-iron rainwater goods; trefoil fixings to downpipes. Corner wall-mounted flagpole. INTERIOR: 2-storey central hall with classrooms off; wrought iron railings to balcony. Doric columns and half columns with rosette band to end walls with semicircular arch to central bay on first floor. Square pillars to ground. Decorative ventilation grilles with keystoned shouldered architrave. Depressed arch-braced collar rafter roof; sandstone brackets. Steel ridge. Boarded timber to dado height throughout. Panelled doors glazed to upper half. Glazed and panelled concertina screens divide rooms. Steel stair construction.

Plain railings with occasional decorative panels on boundary wall; chamfered copes to West and South; brick walls to North and East. Decorative wrought-iron gates; square-scction piers; dentilled capstones to front gatepiers. Later single-storey pitched roof timber building in yard to rear.

Statement of Special Interest

Milton Primary School is an excellent example of an early 20th century school building with details such as the unusual entrance detail and baroque ventilator spire adding interest to the relatively conventional layout. The survival of the fine interior details and joinery is exceptional and the school retains all of the original railings and boundary walls, with good decorative wrought iron gates.The school also makes a significant contribution to the townscape of Milton.

Glasgow architects John Stewart (1870-1954) and George Andrew Paterson (1876-1934) were responsible for the design of the school. Other well-known buildings by the practice include Maclaren High School, Callander, 1907 (also listed), and housing at Anniesland Cross 1908-10 and at East King St., Helensburgh, 1936. The practice also designed a number of churches such as Netherlee Parish Church in Cathcart, 1933. The builder at Milton Primary School was Mr. Winton of Duntocher and the stone used was Corncockle sandstone. It appears that the school may have been designed to be larger, with another classroom to the rear.

Milton Primary School opened on the 29th of May 1905, replacing an earlier school to the East of the village (still surviving) which had been in operation for some 40 years.

References

Bibliography

REFERENCES: LENNOX HERALD (Description of Opening Ceremony). Glendinning et al., A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1996) p.597-8. Walker, NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE p.18-19.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILTON PRIMARY SCHOOL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 22:32