Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

17 MAR STREET, JOB CENTRE (FORMER CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY HEADQUARTERS)LB49859

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
07/06/2004
Local Authority
Clackmannanshire
Planning Authority
Clackmannanshire
Burgh
Alloa
NGR
NS 88627 92809
Coordinates
288627, 692809

Description

William Kerr of John Melvin and Son, 1931-2. 5-bay 2 storey plus attic rectangular-plan symmetrical classical commercial building (now a Jobcentre) with central arched window breaking eaves. Stripped Baroque detailing. Red Dumfriesshire sandstone. Smooth ashlar front elevation and squared stugged rubble to side elevations. Base course. Balustrade to centre of parapet. Flush cills. Long low central hall to rear.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 3 bays advance slightly, with channelled quoins. Advanced entrance bay with fluted pilasters. Timber panelled 2-leaf door and glazed inner door in plain roll-moulded opening. Modern signage (Jobcentre) and date stones (1862, 1932). Above this a central window with scrolled apron. Alloa Co-operative Society arms to wallhead. Central round-headed dormer breaking eaves with semicircular pediment on Doric columns and decorative wrought iron railings. Recessed balustrade to central bays with square urn finials. Carved relief panels depicting cornucopia to end bays. Stepped parapet.

NW ELEVATION (MAIN BLOCK): regular fenestration to left. Single door to lower right with large mullioned and transomed stair window over. Central round-headed window to attic level with bracketed balcony and decorative railings.

SE ELEVATION: 2 bays with central round-headed window to attic level with bracketed balcony and decorative railings.

False relieving arches over ground floor windows.

REAR HALL BLOCK: single storey. Cement-rendered. Glazed pitched roof central hall with flanking flat-roofed office ranges. Large 10 and 12-pane timber windows to rear. Modern glazing in horizontal openings to sides.

INTERIOR: oak-panelled entrance hall with classical details. Upstairs, vaulted corridor with timber door surrounds and Diocletian fanlights. Oak-panelled boardroom. Hall to rear has a concrete truss roof with rooflights to pitches.

Predominately timber sash and case windows. 24-pane to first floor and 16-pane to ground floor on front elevation. Leaded timber casement window to rear of main block. Grey slate roof, stone skews. Corner stack on SE elevation. Cast iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low ashlar boundary wall with fluted copes. Drum gatepiers capped with a stone ball. Cast-iron railings with spear-head finials.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a good example of the varied work of this well-known provincial practice. The main block combines a number of styles to make a successful whole. For example, baroque detailing sits easily above a fully modern entrance and a mullioned and transomed stair window is used on the side elevation. . The building exhibits the considerable attention paid to detail by the practice and there is some fine stonework. Much of the interior is intact in the main block. The building also makes a valuable contribution to the varied streetscape of Mar St.

William Kerr (1866-1940) appears to have been responsible for this design. Kerr is well-known for his series of public buildings and villas throughout Clackmannanshire and used the full range of available styles in his work. Among these are the Alloa Gas Showrooms (1935-8), The Gean (1912-14), Kilncraigs office and warehouse blocks (1904) and (1936) and the Liberal Club, next door at 13-15 Mar St. (1904)

(All separately listed).

The building was built as the headquarters of the Alloa Co-operative Society (founded 1862) and was for a long time the district library before being adapted for its present use.

References

Bibliography

Swan, A., 'William Kerr' in Lowrey, J. (ed.) THE AGE OF MACKINTOSH (ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE III) (1992) p89. Swan RIAS GUIDE, CLACKMANNAN AND THE OCHILLS (2001) p.37. Gifford and Walker STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002) p 157.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 17 MAR STREET, JOB CENTRE (FORMER CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY HEADQUARTERS)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 03:43