Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

PERTH, MOUNT TABOR ROAD, GEAN COTTAGE INCLUDING FORMER WASH HOUSE AND BOUNDARY WALLLB49843

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/05/2004
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Kinnoull
NGR
NO 13127 23745
Coordinates
313127, 723745

Description

Early 19th century cottage, the childhood home of Sir Patrick Geddes (1854-1932). Rectangular-plan, single storey and attic with a number of 1970s alterations. Original 3-bay arrangement discernable to principal (W) elevation with modern flat roofed dormer window flanked by canted dormers to attic. 1970s alterations include; dominating glazed flat-roofed porch to principal elevation, large single storey extension to N elevation, 2 inserted windows to S elevation and various alterations to rear. Modern uPVC windows. Coursed whinstone to principal elevation, random elsewhere, droved long and short margins to principal elevation openings, pitched slate roofs, corniced stacks with decorative cans; rendered in part to S, ashlar to N.

INTERIOR: largely modernised with some original features including panelled doors.

OUTBUILDING: small former wash house incorporated into boundary wall to S of cottage; random whinstone, slate roof with brick stack to E.

BOUNDARY WALL: random whinstone wall running along Mount Tabor Road turning W for a short distance, stepped to upper SE.

Statement of Special Interest

It should be noted that Gean Cottage is listed at category B in recognition of its historical and cultural significance as the childhood home of Sir Patrick Geddes - biologist, sociologist and pioneer planner. Geddes was a leading light in the Civic Welfare Movement, instrumental in the eradication of the slums of Edinburgh and their reconstruction, his writings on town planning include the seminal works 'City development' (1904) and 'Cities in Evolution' (1915). In the field of biology he was an authority on the evolution of sex [The Columbia Encyclopedia,1994]. Geddes held professorships at Edinburgh, London, Aberdeen, St Andrews, Bombay, and at his death he was director of the Scots College at Montpellier, France. He was knighted in 1932.

Born in Ballater in 1854 the Geddes family moved to Gean Cottage in 1857 where Patrick spent the rest of his childhood leaving in 1874 to study biological studies under Thomas Huxley at the Royal College of Mines in London. The cottage at this time was named Mount Tabor Cottage, the present owners suspect that it was named as such due to the fact that Geddes' father had been a soldier with the Black Watch Regiment spending time in Israel. It is thought that as the area became more developed in the latter half of the 19th century the name of the cottage was adopted for the road. Although the cottage has been altered during the 20th century the original elements are still discernable. It is also interesting to note that the garden still retains the same plot as represented on the 1st edition map, still bounded in parts by stone built walls.

In the late 20th century a plaque was erected on the S gable with the following inscription "Sir Patrick Geddes - Biologist, Sociologist, Pioneer City and Regional Planner spent his childhood in this cottage from 1857 to 1874. He found in the Tay Valley and on Kinnoull Hill much inspiration for his life's work."

References

Bibliography

Helen Meller, PATRICK GEDDES - Social Evolutionist and City Planner (1993); Murdo Macdonald, PATRICK GEDDES AND PERTH - A paper expanded from a Presentation for "Geddes in Perth Day" (1996); further information supplied by courtesy of owners, (2004).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PERTH, MOUNT TABOR ROAD, GEAN COTTAGE INCLUDING FORMER WASH HOUSE AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 06:59