Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GATEND BYRE, GATEND FARMLB49731

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
31/03/2004
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Beith
NGR
NS 35737 50621
Coordinates
235737, 650621

Description

Circa 1735. Single storey and attic byre at right angles to Gatend farmhouse, prominently sited at right angles to road S from Barrmill. Coursed sandstone rubble with dressed ashlar margins; ashlar eaves course, straight skews and scrolled skewputts. Cast-iron tie plates below wallhead. Cheese press stone in re-entrant angle.

NE ELEVATION: door to centre L; slit; cartshed opening (modern metal doors) with timber lintel to outer L.

SW ELEVATION: slit; partially blocked opening (brick infill) to centre, polished and droved ashlar lintel; smaller, lower blocked opening to R (old rubble infill) with roughly hewn lintel; slit.

NW GABLE: slit to attic; carved stones 'HK MW', '173?' (see Notes).

SE GABLE: large, tall opening (partially brick infilled) with timber lintel (may be later enlargement ?); blocked slit to attic.

INTERIOR: concrete byre divisions; rubble partition wall at NW end forming cartshed and hayloft.

Corrugated sheet metal roof, originally slated (some greyish-blue slates remain inside, 2003).

Statement of Special Interest

Dobie gives an account of the original owners, the Kerrs of Gatend: 'Hugh Kerr, designed portioner of Crummock, feud in 1663 from Hugh, Earl of Eglintoun, with consent of Alexander, Lord Montgomerie, his eldest son, a one-merk land of the lands of Drumbowie, part of the barony of Giffin, afterwards excambied, in 1665, for the adjoining one merk land of Drumbowie called the Gatend. Gatend continued with his family in direct descent down to Hugh Kerr above mentioned, whose death occurred 9th August, 1818. Followed by that of his wife on the 19th. They left a large family, and the property was sold in 1824 by his eldest son, the above mentioned William Kerr. Three of the sons 'William, Robert and Hugh emigrated to America and realised handsome fortunes. William Kerr purchased Cuninghamehead, where he afterward resided, and died in 1853, leaving an only child, Richard, who succeeded him.' (Cuninghame Topographized, p280)

Stone 'marriage' lintels set above two farmhouse doors indicate three probable phases of building at Gatend. The first, inscribed '16 WK EC 91', may be re-cut but relates to William Kerr and his wife (not known). The second inscribed 'HK MW 1740' relates to Hugh Kerr and his wife (not known). The third lintel is inscribed 'GATEND REBUILT 1934 AG IH', relating to a further change of ownership and signifies Andrew Gillies and his wife Isobel Howie. It was at this date that the farmhouse was considerably remodelled, most likely from a 3-bay single storey farmhouse with wings on either side, to its present state by raising the roof, adding the dormers and giving a pebbledash finish. The bipartite windows and the glazed porch also date from this period (the uPVC glazing detracts further from the original character but shows the pattern of upper small-pane glazing of the former 1930s timber sash and case windows). The original form of the farmhouse would have been more akin to Hessilhead for example, (separately listed) with its linear formation of single storey house and connecting byre and barn. A further carved stone is on the north west gable of the byre and again refers to William Kerr and his wife. The date is 173? and may refer to their marriage whereas the stone of 1740 may relate to their completion of the new farmhouse.

Gatend byre, with its smart straight skews, scrolled skewputts and originally slate rather than thatch roof, is an example of an early improved agricultural building. It would likely have replaced a more vernacular form, less structured in design and in lesser quality materials. The slated roof would have been far more expensive than a thatched one indicating increased productivity. Situated in the heart of dairy country, Gatend would have produced milk and cheese, hence the cheese press stone. The byre still contains its divisions to contain the cows, however these date from the mid 20th century; the slit 'windows' are for ventilation. The exterior of the byre was probably finished in lime harl but this has weathered away over time and the original lime mortar between the joints is exposed. Farm buildings are subject to change as agricultural methods develop or die out but Gatend byre remains relatively unaltered and its circa 1735 date makes it a rare survival. Evidence from the Ordnance Survey map of 1858 suggests a circular horse-engine house (containing a horse-powered mill) stood against the south west elevation.

References

Bibliography

James Dobie CUNINGHAME TOPOGRAPHIZED BY TIMOTHY PONT 1604-1608 (1876) pp102, 125, 214, 280. 'Gateend' marked on John Thomson's map of 1826. Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GATEND BYRE, GATEND FARM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/08/2022 04:25