Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

8 AND 10 MAIN STREET,YE OLDE CARRIERS QUARTERSLB49703

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
31/03/2004
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Burgh
Bo'Ness
NGR
NT 00023 81659
Coordinates
300023, 681659

Description

James Thomson, dated 1905, possibly incorporating 1647 fabric. 2-storey, 3-bay (above ground) gabled public house with mock half-timbering, in irregular terrace to W. Painted ashlar and harl. Base course, deep ground floor frieze and cornice, and eaves course. Architraved windows to 1st floor N. Stone mullions.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad dividing pilasters with wall-shaft and thistle-carved corbel dividing recessed bays. Panelled timber door with multi-pane fanlight immediately right of centre, canted window with round-arched centre light in bay to right, and similar window with 2 centre lights in bay to left; painted sign in further bay (blocked door?) to outer left. Full-width frieze with traditional lettering giving way to cornice with cartouche-style stops, that to right with 'MCMV', that to left with '?KJ'. 1st floor with small carved stone (base for statue or sundial?) to outer left; centre bay with single window over carved stone dated '1647' and with 'RSY/I?', abutting jettied base (with arrowslit) of shouldered stack piercing gable above; flanking bays each with bipartite window and half-timbered gablehead. 2 small modern rooflights.

E ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with single window high up at 1st floor.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation including forestair to 1st floor timber porch and decoratively-astragalled barred window to right also at floor.

Fixed glazing with multi-pane top lights to ground and uPVC glazing to 1st floor N, 12-pane glazing pattern in modern timber sash and case window at E. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped harled stack to N and truncated gablehead stack to E, both with cans. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts; mutuled bargeboarding and spike finials; cast-iron downpipe with decorative rainwater hopper.

INTERIOR: largely non-traditional later 20th century decorative scheme but retaining some timber panelling at ground, and moulded cornices at 1st floor.

Statement of Special Interest

Local architect James Thomson designed a number of shop and tenement blocks in South Street, as well as the fine Post Office at East Pier Street. Established in 1647, the 'Carriers' was a posting inn with stables (much altered and converted to a store) at the rear. Tradition says that the licensee was obliged to provide hay and water at no extra charge for all lodger's horses. During refurbishment circa 1995, a journal (or sweetheart's book) was discovered hidden in the rafters.

References

Bibliography

Richard Jacques FALKIRK AND DISTRICT (2002), p137. Information courtesy of licensee.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 8 AND 10 MAIN STREET,YE OLDE CARRIERS QUARTERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 06:54