Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

14 PARK ROAD, WAVERLEY COTTAGE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, GATEPIERS, FORECOURT AND OUTBUILDINGLB49690

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
20/01/2004
Supplementary Information Updated
11/03/2022
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Burgh
Dalkeith
NGR
NT 32794 66698
Coordinates
332794, 666698

Description

Single storey, symmetrical, villa-like cottage built between around 1840 and 1854; centre-doored three-bay front with projecting and barge-boarded outer bays, further flanking single bays set back. Centre porch and detailing all dressed ashlar; remainder tooled snecked sandstone. Piended slate roofs with overhanging eaves and corniced ashlar stacks. Timber-framed sash and case windows.

Advanced gabled entrance porch to principal (southeast/garden) elevation; flanking gabled bays with hoodmoulded bipartite windows and scroll detail to bargeboards with drop pendants and finials. Central gabled two-bay section slightly advanced at rear with two further flanking single bays set back.

Outbuilding: single storey ancillary building to west of main entrance gate. Rubble walls with ashlar detailing, slate lean-to roof. Large door near house with four further doors (possibly once providing stabling and stores).

Forecourt: section of courtyard from entrance gates to house laid in brick.

Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates: corniced square-plan gatepiers with chamfered quoins to carriage entrance to northwest of property on Park Road; adjacent corniced pedestrian entrance. Ornate wrought iron gates replace earlier gates (possibly originally timber). Tall rubble wall bounds entire property. Wall raised to north and northeast and surmounted by curved coping. Pedimented ashlar doorway to west (Waverley Road) (also carriage entrance to west). Wall continues along Waverley Road with changes in stonework to southern section (possibly indicating one time changes in use of grounds). Boundary wall to south of garden has an opening at eastern end. Walls enclose long sweeping lawn which slopes down to the south. Large Cedar of Lebanon beside west pedestrian gate.

Statement of Special Interest

The proportions and detailing make Waverley Cottage an attractive building and one which is uncommon to this area. Although on a larger footprint than its neighbouring houses (which are typically two-storey and square-plan), because of its single storey and decorative barge-boarded gables, Waverley Cottage has an almost lodge-like appearance. Waverley Cottage remains largely unaltered particularly since it also retains its boundary walls, outbuilding and garden and is one of the few houses within the conservation area to retain the full extent of its grounds. Gellatly's 1834-1840 (exact date uncertain) New Map of the Country 12 miles round Edinburgh shows that this area of Dalkeith had not yet been developed. However, with the mid-19th century commercial boom in Dalkeith (which was boosted by the opening of the railway to Edinburgh, which runs to the south of Waverley Cottage) areas surrounding the crowded town centre, such as this, began to be developed for housing.

Listed building record revised in 2022.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 267794 and 267795

Maps

Gellatly, J. (c.1834-1840) New Map of the Country 12 miles round Edinburgh, at https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400239

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1852-3, published 1854) Edinburghshire, sheet 7. 6 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (revised 1892-3, published 1894) Edinburghshire, VIII.6. 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Thomas, J. (1995) Midlothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide. Edinburgh: Rutland Press/RIAS, pp.8-9.

Other Information

Information courtesy of owner (2022).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14 PARK ROAD, WAVERLEY COTTAGE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, GATEPIERS, FORECOURT AND OUTBUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 11:28