Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
New Abbey
NX 96559 66272
296559, 566272


Cemetery to NE of Sweetheart Abbey including tombstones and Stewart family enclosure.

STEWART FAMILY ENCLOSURE: dated 1856. Rectangular walled enclosure with pedimented gateway bearing Stewart family arms. Light sandstone rubble; roughly squared large stones with smaller pinning stones; red sandstone ashlar dressings. Ashlar coping. Droved quoins. Cast-iron gate. Red sandstone and marble monuments inside. Circa 1960 low-walled extension to N with simpler gravestones.

GRAVESTONES: dating from circa 1820 onwards. Representative collection of 19th century and later headstones. Predominantly red sandstone; some marble. Many stones previously limewashed. More monumental stones include: George Alexander Nicholson, 1824, scroll-flanked and pedimented; Captain James Murray, 1834, Doric pilasters and urn finial; John Regan Riddell, 1849, obelisk-topped with coat of arms and gothic detailing; James Kingan and family, 1932, decorative pediment and cornice, white plaster with black lettering.

Statement of Special Interest

Only the cemetery is included in this list. Sweetheart Abbey and the boundary walls of the cemetery are Scheduled Ancient Monuments. The cemetery contains many interesting gravestones. The majority are large upright slabs, but there are a number of crosses, obelisks, large classical stones, and table-shaped tombs. It is interesting to note that the majority of the older stones bear traces of limewash, and a few are still fully limewashed. Before the twentieth century it was common to lime-wash gravestones in order to protect the stone from weathering.

The Stewarts were the local landowners, and lived at Shambellie house on the other side of the village.



Appears on 1st edition OS map (circa 1853). John Gifford, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY, p463 (mentions Stewart Enclosure).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SWEETHEART ABBEY CEMETERY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2024 23:10