Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
NS 47710 36528
247710, 636528


Circa 1830. Circular horse-engine house adjacent to former (truncated) threshing barn; conical grey slated roof and lead finial; now in poor condition (2003). Large horse opening and 2 small window openings. Pink sandstone rubble with dressed margins.

INTERIOR: currently used as wood store; radiating timber roof supports and central timber pole to apex; some machinery survives.

Statement of Special Interest

The ruinous shell of Holmes House, circa 1830, was built for Lt Col Fairlie of Bellfield possibly by David Hamilton, William Burn, Wilkins or Thomas Hamilton in the Tudor-Gothic style (Davis p285). Similar to Blairquhan by Burn (1820-24) and Tour House (1840s) at Kilmaurs in its final form, it was built around an earlier 2-storey 3-bay house, the whole demolished in the 1930s. Only part of the former U-plan steading remains but this is significantly altered, the stables being converted to a dwelling approximately 20 years ago. A roofless pigsty, henhouse and byre remain near by as does a grotto in the form of a small ruined chapel (with stone slab dated 1735) in the grounds of the house. A walled garden (not seen, 2002), a small stone building dated 1808 (not seen, 2002) and the lodge (in separate ownership) with gatepiers also survive.

The circular horse-engine house is adjacent to the truncated former threshing barn, which in turn adjoins the stable and servants' block.

The condition of the building is poor and it is nearing collapse. One section of the roof is missing and the walls are badly cracked. The internal timber roof structure is largely intact though and remnants of the gears remain buried under logs. Designed to protect timber horse-powered threshing machines, superseded by oil-powered machines from the mid 19th century and electric motors in the late 19th and early 20th, the horse-engine house is a rare survival.



Marked on 1st edition OS map of 1858. Alexander Fenton and Bruce Walker THE RURAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1981) pp160-181. Mike Davis THE CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991) pp 285-6.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HOLMES HOUSE STEADING, HORSE ENGINE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2024 22:27