Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

COLINTON ROAD, MERCHISTON CASTLE SCHOOL, HA-HA AND STEPS LEADING TO COLINTON CASTLELB49557

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
19/11/2003
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 21664 69315
Coordinates
321664, 669315

Description

Late 18th century. High wall forming inset ha-ha with integral flight of steps with stone wing walls. Squared, coursed sandstone walls with smooth ashlar copes.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: high wall with flat stone copes set into terraced bank with trees and flower garden above. Central flight of 10 steps with stone risers and treads leading across garden to Colinton Castle.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Colinton Castle, Dovecot, Gibson House (formerly Colinton House), Stables, House at Walled Garden, Walled Garden, Garden Store, Main School Building, Chalmers and Rogerson Houses, Headmaster's House, South Lodge, Gatepiers and Boundary wall. The ha-ha and steps are likely to be linked to Colinton Castle, which lies directly to the north of the structures. They provide access to what were once the formal gardens and avenue of the Castle. Originally the castle was the main building within the estate until it was partially demolished in the early 19th century to provide a picturesque ruin for the newly constructed Colinton House. The ha-ha provides the NW boundary to a garden once contained within high holly hedges (mentioned in the New Statistical Account) and believed to have been originally laid out in 1683. A selection of specimen trees were also planted, creating an avenue enclosing a broad walk, this in turn leading to the 2 shrubbery gardens and kitchen garden. The ha-ha and steps now lead to the ruins of the castle and the garden serving the 1929 Headmaster's House (both listed separately).

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, p113 (written 1838). 1st Edition, ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1854) showing position of ha-ha and steps. David Shankie, THE PARISH OF COLINTON FROM AN EARLY PERIOD TO THE PRESENT DAY (1902) p88 ?89. John Gifford, Colin McWilliam & David Walker, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND ? EDINBURGH (1991) p517. Lynne Gladstone-Millar, THE COLINTON STORY ? CELEBRATING 900 YEARS OF A SCOTTISH PARISH (1994) p30, 44, 58, 85 & 96-97.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to COLINTON ROAD, MERCHISTON CASTLE SCHOOL, HA-HA AND STEPS LEADING TO COLINTON CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 03:25