Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

23 AND 24 BRIDGE ROAD WITH RAISED PAVEMENT AND BOUNDARY WALLLB49551

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
19/11/2003
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 21416 68947
Coordinates
321416, 668947

Description

1879. 2 storey, 3-bay detached house with bracketed eaves, bargeboarded dormers, and former shop at ground floor. Snecked rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Long and short quoins. Stop-chamfered corners to all openings. Central 2-leaf timber panelled door with brass door knobs in shouldered surround. Large flanking shop windows in shouldered openings with central cast-iron column glazing bar. Elliptical-arched windows above breaking eaves with decorative barge-boarded dormerheads. Slightly tapered gablehead stacks.

4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to upper floor; plate glass lights at ground. Plain bargeboards to gables. Coped stacks with yellow clay cans. Graded grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods with some decorative brackets to downpipes.

RAISED PAVEMENT AND BOUNDARY WALL: raised pavement in front of house with plain cast-iron railings and stone steps at each end. Battered, ashlar-coped, random rubble boundary wall to side.

Statement of Special Interest

A well detailed house with its shop windows retained in their original condition. Built for Mr Meldrum, the butcher. The business later passed on to Harry Blyth, who lived at 25 Bridge Road (the house behind this one), and kept his poultry live, in cages, in front of the shop. During the mid-twentieth century, this building was the village Post Office.

References

Bibliography

THE SCOTSMAN, Wednesday 20th August 1879 (clipping in the Edinburgh Room, entitled "Colinton Buildings Operations"). Appears on 1894 OS map. Cant, VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH, Volume 2, p11.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 23 AND 24 BRIDGE ROAD WITH RAISED PAVEMENT AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 06:55