Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

TRAQUAIR MILL HOUSE AND BOTHYLB49405

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
01/03/1978
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Traquair
NGR
NT 32774 34476
Coordinates
332774, 634476

Description

1779 (date stone) with early 19th century addition; alterations Benjamin Tindall Architects, 1992. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan plain classical farmhouse with adjoining 1?-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan vernacular cottage and attached single storey, 7-bay bothy to SW. Harled and painted with sandstone margins; bothy with lime washed rubble rear elevation. Skew-gabled without putts.

FARMHOUSE (AND COTTAGE):

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to left, main house with step leading to central timber panelled entrance door, plain margined surround and low fanlight with decorative curved glazing, single window to flanks; to 1st floor, 3 regularly placed bays, to attic pair of cast-iron Carron lights. To right, later 1?-storey cottage with semi-glazed timber entrance door off centre left with low 2-pane fanlight surmounting, window close on left flank, right window placed further along right flank; 3 stone wallhead dormers with timber gables breaking eaves (aligned with ground floor fenestration).

NE ELEVATION: blind gabled end of cottage, lean-to with small window projecting to right; to rear, higher gabled end of main house rising above line of cottage.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: to left, rear of lower cottage with blind lean-to (with low eaves) to most of ground floor and ?-storey blind; to right, main house with single windowed extension to ground floor right and single window to otherwise blind 1st floor; much later lean-to conservatory linking cottage and house lean-tos (together).

SW ELEVATION: gabled end of main house rising into gablehead stack, bothy adjoining at ground floor right.

BOTHY:

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: single storey, 7-bay harled bothy: to left, door with very small square window to flanks; to right, boarded timber door in bays 4 and 6 with rectangular windows to bays 5 and 7. Blind gabled end to left return; adjoining farmhouse to right return. Limewashed rubble elevation to rear (SW ELEVATION) with regular early fenestration; to attic, pair of modern Velux roof lights with cast-iron Carron lights to outer flanks.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to farmhouse and altered bothy; some 4-pane and plate glass replacement window to rear of bothy; cast-iron 2-pane Carron lights to attics. Pitched slate roof with replacement ridging and flashing (also covering skews). Tall harled gablehead stacks with sandstone ashlar margins and end elevations, projecting moulded neck copes and hexagonal cans. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods (gutter of cottage crossing windows of attic dormers).

INTERIOR: farmhouse retaining original room plan with original features such as timber work (internal window shutters, skirting boards and timber panelled doors) still intact. Bothy (altered 1992) now renovated to form holiday accommodation.

Statement of Special Interest

This farmhouse was (in the past) associated with the Traquair House Estate. It is sited between the Quair Water and the Fingland Burn to the SW. Directly in front of the farmhouse (where a grassed area and part of the road now runs) was a large mill pond used to supply the Traquair Saw Mill (listed separately). The mill was formerly the corn mill for this farmhouse. It is believed the Eckford brothers stayed here during the 19th century when they painted the mill and surrounding area. A painting entitled "Interior of Traquair Mill" may be set inside the small adjoining cottage or bothy, not in fact the mill itself ? as some believe (There are few windows in the mill at the height portrayed). The farmhouse is now no longer used as such, instead providing private residence with the bothy being used as holiday accommodation. Listed as a good example of a classical farmhouse with later stages of development clearly seen.

References

Bibliography

J Blaeu, TVEDIA (1654, Tweeddale from ATLAS NOVUS) showing original mill. W Edgar, THE SHIRE OF PEEBLES OR TWEEDDALE (1741) showing original mill. M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775); J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821 ? Edinburgh) and J Thomson, PEEBLES-SHIRE (1821, published in ATLAS OF SCOTLAND, 1832) showing present buildings. ROYAL SCOTTISH ACADEMY CATALOGUE, James Eckford Lauder, RA ? 1856, exh 49 ? The Finglin Burn, Traquair; 1858, exh 459 ? The Clintpool, Traquair; 1859, exh 130 ? Traquair Mill; also Interior ? Traquair Mill (undated) inscribed on reverse in pencil "I pledge you my dear fellow, I?m from the North you see." J Buchan, HISTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (1925) p523. Additional information courtesy of The Buildings of Scotland, Kitty Cruft.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TRAQUAIR MILL HOUSE AND BOTHY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 23:12