Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GALLANACH ROAD, LIGHTHOUSE DEPOT INCLUDING GATEPIERS, MANAGER'S HOUSE WITH OUTBUILDINGS TO E AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB49357

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/07/2003
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Oban
NGR
NM 85289 29771
Coordinates
185289, 729771

Description

Circa 1904; with later alterations. 2-storey rectangular plan warehouse with office accommodation at 1st floor. Coursed granite rubble; harled pointing; raised sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings; corniced eaves course to single storey garages to N. Broad coped crowstepped gables; corner octagonal tower abutting E gable; circular windows to gableheads. 2-storey, rectangular plan manager's house (circa 1904) on imprint of 19th century building; 2 adjacent earlier 19th century single storey, pitched roofed, coursed and pinned rubble outbuildings flanking forecourt to manager's house.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 5 large ground floor windows. Large 1st floor door to centre right with ramp entrance (2001) bridging raised ground.

E ELEVATION: 5-bays. Wide 2-storey gabled section to left, garage door at ground floor (glass brick fanlight directly above), door to left, circular window to gablehead. Central semi-octagonal tower, door at 1st stage, slightly corbelled-out upper stage with 5 windows, ball finial to conical roof. Flat-roofed single storey garage to right, door with oversized glass brick fanlight to penultimate bay right, large garage door (inserted) to far right.

N (SHORE) ELEVATION: 7-bays. Advanced flat-roofed single storey garage at ground floor, 4 evenly spaced segmental-arched windows set close to eaves; 3 double garage entrances set between window openings (that to left now blocked), additional double door entrance below window to far right. Octagonal tower emerging from rear of advanced ground floor section to left, door leading to flat roof. Evenly spaced windows to right above advanced section.

W ELEVATION: external metal stair (2001) leading to door (former window) at 1st floor level of gabled section to right. Window to far right. Circular window to gablehead.

Multi-paned, double-glazed timber tilt-top windows in original splayed openings. Roll shutter garage doors to E; timber boarded garage doors to N. Grey slates to pitched roof and tower; lead covering to flat-roof garage and capping coped crowsteps.

INTERIOR: office accommodation upgraded to modern standard (2001). Warehouse and garage spaces with cast-iron columns and concrete construction; some subdivision in late 20th or early 21st century.

DEPOT GATEPIERS: square-plan coped ashlar gatepiers to SE.

MANAGER'S HOUSE: small 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan house with single storey piended extension to W. Coursed granite rubble; harled pointing; raised sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings. N (shore) elevation: central door; flanking bipartite windows; smaller bipartite window to extension to far right. 2 breaking-eaves gabled dormers with bipartite windows above; 20th century rooflight to centre. W elevation: not seen, 2002. S (entrance) elevation: central stone porch (later addition), pitched roof; surrounding glazing, door to right return; window to extension to far left. Central breaking eaves gabled dormer with bipartite window above porch. Tilt-top plastic windows; plastic doors; pitched roof; overhanging bracketed eaves; grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles; straight stone skews; block skewputts; coped gable head stacks; circular clay cans.

OUTBUILDINGS: Building to W: 3-bay cottage with segmental arched droved and keystoned dressings. Central door with flanking windows to E elevation. Timber sash and case lying pane windows with horns; timber boarded door; grey slates; terracotta ridge tiles; narrow timber bargeboards. Building to E: 2-bay, of similar treatment to that to W. W elevation: arched, 2-leaf timber boarded stable-door to left; timber boarded door to right. Window to S elevation. Single coped rubble stack with circular clay can to S gable head.

BOUNDARY WALLS (to Manager's House): low coped rubble boundary wall with plain-cast iron railings to S; low coped rubble boundary wall to E; high coped rubble boundary wall to E.

Statement of Special Interest

The Oban Depot is a purpose-built lighthouse depot, of which there are only three in Scotland. This building continues to be used for its original purpose, servicing the Northern Lighthouse Board's western lighthouses. "An important installation at Granton and Oban from 1891, and later at Stromness also, was the NLB's own gas works, where compressed gas for replenishing buoys and beacons was manufactured. At Oban the gas was conveyed to the West Coast stations by ship." (Munro) There is no physical evidence remaining for the production of gas. The first NLB depot was built at Granton in the 1880s (see separate listing) but is no longer owned by the NLB. The other much plainer depot, located in Alfred Street, Stromness, was built around the same time as the Oban depot. The Oban depot is located to the SW of the S pier (1814) and is situated on the coast road to the S of the town. Its immediate neighbour to the W is the c. 1800 Manor House [Hotel] (see separate listing), originally built as a Dower House on the Oban Estate, later used as the office for the National Bank of Scotland as early as 1826. The land on which the Oban depot stands formerly belonged to the Manor House. The depot is set below rising ground and is more prominently viewed from the coast (N elevation) and to the E elevation. There is a new 2-storey warehouse built to the NE of the site. A heli-pad is located to the NW. The NLB also owns the Manager's House and the earlier outbuildings set on higher ground to the E; this is the home of the officer in charge of the depot. The house and the outbuildings were probably first associated with the Manor House; the manager's house was most likely remodelled when the depot was erected. A significant programme to upgrade the depot took place in 2001, when some openings were reoriented and new glass bricks were inserted into the E elevation. The entire building was repointed with cement. A new main entrance was inserted at the top floor of the S elevation with a ramp access from the drive. Also, a side entrance was inserted into a window to the W elevation, access via new metal external staircase. This work has however not compromised the outward appearance of the depot which remains an important component of Oban's S harbour and is significant to Scottish lighthouse history.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map (1938). R W Munro SCOTTISH LIGHTHOUSES (1979) p198.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GALLANACH ROAD, LIGHTHOUSE DEPOT INCLUDING GATEPIERS, MANAGER'S HOUSE WITH OUTBUILDINGS TO E AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 07:09