Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

4-25 (INCLUSIVE NOS) EGLINTON CRESCENT, INCLUDING RAILINGSLB49188

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see NOTES
Date Added
20/10/1964
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 23938 73588
Coordinates
323938, 673588

Description

John Chesser, 1875-1880. 3-storey, attic and basement, bowed, classically-detailed terrace with 2-storey and basement bowed and canted bays. Polished, channelled sandstone ashlar with polished dressings; droved sandstone to basement. Base course; string course between ground and 1st floors; cill course to 2nd floor; string course at eaves, with brackets to cornice; stone balustrade above, between alternate triangular pedimented single dormers and segmental pedimented bipartite dormers. Doorpiece comprising pair of stop-chamfered pilasters flanking 2-leaf panelled timber door with large rectangular fanlight; elaborately carved consoles to pilaster-heads, supporting cornice with balcony to window above; narrow flanking lights between paired pilasters; consoled segmental pediment to window above doorpiece; bowed balustrade to canted 1st floor window bay; canted balustrade above, forming balcony to tripartite window at 2nd floor; margins to all window openings, except those to 2nd floor, canted bay; margins moulded at ground, lugged at 2nd floor.

SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: Nos 4-9 at basement: window beneath oversailing entrance platt to left (bipartite at No 9); door and fanlight to right of platt, sometimes in separate bay, sometimes in left-hand light of 3-light bowed bay at right. Nos 10-23 at basement: platt infilled, with window to return, at left; door and fanlight to right; 3 lights to bowed bay at right. Nos 4-23, ground floor and above: 20, 2-bay houses. Ashlar steps and platt to doorpiece to bay to right at ground; single windows to 1st and 2nd floor above; triangular pedimented dormer above; 3 lights to bowed bay at left at ground and to canted bay at 1st floor above; tripartite window to 3rd floor, with segmental pedimented bipartite dormer above. Nos 24-25: angled corner pavilion, comprising 2 3-bay sections, advanced and slightly raised above level of Nos 4-23 Eglinton Crescent; stugged at basement; consoled segmental pediment to 1st floor window of both additional bays. No 24: 3 lights to bowed bay at right; window at left and door and fanlight at right beneath platt; window to outer left; doorpiece to bay to centre at ground, with single windows to floors above, and triangular pediment to dormer; 3 lights to bowed bay to right and to canted bay above; tripartite to 3rd floor above, with segmental pediment to bipartite dormer; single window to each floor, bay to left; segmental pediment to single dormer above. No 25: window beneath platt and to bay to right at basement; door and fanlight to left, with single light to centre of canted bay; ground floor and above: mirror image of No 24.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case glazing. Grey slate mansard roof; coped, channelled, mutual sandstone ashlar stacks; tall, moulded octagonal cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.

RAILINGS: spiked railings to street (set in coping) and to ashlar steps and entrance platts; plain railings to steps down to basement.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of New Town A-Group. John Chesser was the Superintendent of Works to George Heriot's Hospital between 1858 and 1889. During his term of office large quantities of Heriot's land were feued, including land in the W of Edinburgh. Chesser was responsible for preparing ground and elevation plans for the new buildings. Opulent interiors were designed for many of the houses. According to the present owner (2004), 14 Eglinton Crescent was the home of David Alan Stevenson in the late 19th century. He was the cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson and son-in-law of Lord Roberts of Kandahar who was a close friend of Rudyard Kipling. His daughter, Dorothy Emily Stevenson, the novelist, was born in the house.

References

Bibliography

OBITUARY - MR JOHN CHESSER in THE BUILDER February 20, 1892, p146; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), pp 361, 373.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 4-25 (INCLUSIVE NOS) EGLINTON CRESCENT, INCLUDING RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 23:31