Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HOLYLEE, WALLED GARDENLB49125

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/03/2003
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Innerleithen
NGR
NT 39098 37579
Coordinates
339098, 637579

Description

Earlier 19th century with later glasshouse. Irregular-plan walled garden with arched N wall and serpentine S wall; buttressed angles forming additional fruit walls with glasshouse in S slip garden. Coursed random whinstone rubble with thin ashlar copes; entrances with droved tabbed quoins and smooth margins.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: lean-to timber and brick glasshouse to right with door in left return (partial remains of whitewash to walls suggesting larger glasshouse in past); additional range of brick, timber and glazing forcing frames adjoining low front wall of glasshouse; high blind curved wall to rest of elevation with shared angle buttress to W.

SE ELEVATION: shorter high wall with shared angle buttress to SE angle; various later sheds and structures adjacent.

NE ELEVATION: high wall with large rectangular cart entrance to extreme right (adjacent to NW angle buttress) with sliding corrugated-metal door; shared angle buttress to N angle

NW ELEVATION: straight high wall with shared buttresses to angles; timber boarded entrance door to right within tabbed surround.

Multi-paned, overlapped glazing to timber lean-to glasshouse with ventilators near ridge; semi-glazed timber panelled door.

INTERIOR: walls remain but original formal layout now lost.

Statement of Special Interest

Sited on an attractive hillside overlooking the Tweed, the house is found on the west bank of Holylee Burn with Old Holylee and the walled garden on the east bank. Holylee was built for James Ballantyne of Old Holylee (listed separately) following his marriage to Anne Henderson in 1821. Originally the family lived in the older house but James and his wife moved here. The 'new' Holylee was set within its own landscaped grounds and had a bleaching green to the rear. The walled garden is set to the east of the main house and is of a generous size. It is roughly rectangular-plan with a slightly arched N wall and serpentine S wall. It is sited on a hillside near the bottom of a valley and orientated a little to the west of normal south position to catch the afternoon sun; this would store warmth for when dusk fell. Surrounding the garden, there was a slip garden with a path adjacent to the outer hedge (still in existence). Part of the S slip garden still contains the glasshouse and forcing frames. The interior of the garden contained a path that followed the borders adjacent to the irregular walls and a central path running from a S entrance to a projecting range of structures on the N wall (possibly a gazebo or glasshouse to the interior of the garden with the potting shed and fruit rooms to exterior of the main wall). On an early map, the E half of the garden was formally laid out with a grid pattern of fruit trees. The S of the W half also contained trees in rows, but there was a formal parterre in the NW corner. The garden still retains its original shape and high walls; listed as a good example of a walled kitchen garden.

References

Bibliography

J Ainslie, THE ENVIRONS OF EDINBURGH, HADDINGTON, DUNS, KELSO, JEDBURGH, HAWICK, SELKIRK, PEEBLES, LANGHOLM AND ANNAN (1821) showing estate before new development. 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1857) showing house and garden. F Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1885) Vol IV, p290. RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF ANCIENT MONUMENTS, Inv. 565; Plan fig. 275. Plate 69 A, B & C. Charles Strang, BORDERS & BERWICK (1994) p222.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HOLYLEE, WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/08/2022 04:07