Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KINCARDINE, TULLIALLAN CASTLE (SCOTTISH POLICE COLLEGE), WALLED GARDEN INCLUDING CONSERVATORY AND GLASSHOUSES, POTTING SHED, FREE STANDING GLASSHOUSE, BOILER HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND SUNDIALLB49037

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
19/12/2002
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Tulliallan
NGR
NS 93280 88441
Coordinates
293280, 688441

Description

Early 19th century square-plan walled kitchen garden (approximately 89m by 96m); extensive range of Mackenzie & Moncur Ltd circa 1907 glasshouses and lean-to potting shed; remnants of early 19th century surrounding boundary walls also enclosing structures of various dates including potting shed, glasshouse, and boiler house to N and former orchard to W. Central E/W wall bisecting garden into roughly equal N and S sections (S section covered with Tarmac for car parking facility).

WALLED GARDEN: Flemish garden-wall bond red brick walls. Droved saddle-backed sandstone ashlar coping. N wall (formerly heated): high wall; slightly advanced coped sections to E and W on N side at mid-wall height. 2 segmental arched chimney flues (now blocked) to E and W; whitewashed to S side (for glasshouses). W wall slopes to N to meet raised N wall; E wall stepped to N. 2 segmental arched door openings to N, E and W walls, and to E and W ends of central dividing wall, most now blocked (that to N of E wall enlarged with 2-leaf timber barn doors). Large modern opening to S wall (to admit cars); original central opening to central dividing wall narrowed and framed with stone ball finials.

CONSERVATORY and GLASSHOUSES (to S side of N wall): span entire width of N wall; symmetrical with central canted 2-stage conservatory with 4 original cast-iron load-bearing columns; decorated cast-iron staging;

decorative wrought-iron finial. Flanking lean-to glasshouses of 3 sections (former peach and pear houses to single outer sections; vine houses to inner double sections) set on low brick bases. Timber astragal glazing (renewed 1995-2001). Late 19th century coal-powered heating system (later converted to oil) with double and single flow and return cast-iron pipes, lattice floor grilles, pierced angle brackets, winding gear, some original guttering; teak framing; rectangular slate water troughs.

POTTING SHED: lean-to rectangular-plan shed off-centre left to N side of N wall; glazed timber-panelled door with side lights leading to conservatory and glasshouses; 7 linked metal windows to left; 2 windows to right (outer window blocked); doors to right and left returns. Red brick; slate roof. Long workbench and lavatories (former offices) to interior. Underfloor heating continues from glasshouses.

GLASSHOUSE (to N): Mackenzie & Moncur Ltd, late 19th to early 20th century. Rectangular-plan, pitched roof teak glasshouse on low brick base. Glazed panel door to W. Pierced cast-iron angle brackets; some original cast-iron guttering; wrought-iron finial to E; Mackenzie & Moncur company label fixed to inside of door.

BOILER HOUSE (to N of Walled Garden): single storey and basement, rectangular-plan lean-to boiler house. S and E elevations part of boundary wall; brick to N and W. Corrugated sheet roof; brick square-plan stack to N. Original piping and flues to interior.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped random rubble walls to N and W of Walled Garden (former orchard to W).

SUNDIAL: fluted stone baluster; hexagonal table dial and base. Presentation plaque dated '1961'. Base dated '1904'.

Statement of Special Interest

A-group with Tulliallan Castle, Tulliallan Doocot, Keith Mausoleum and Churchyard, and Blackhall Lodge (see separate listings). This is the kitchen garden for Tulliallan Castle (lying to the SE) built 1818-1820 for the Hon George Keith Elphinstone (1747-1823). The present garden is located to the NE of Blackhall Farm which probably became the Court Offices of Viscount Keith at the same time that the walled garden was developed in the early 19th century. It is possible that this garden was originally related to Tulliallan Old Parish Church (see separate listing) and manse to the N of the church. The 1st edition OS map indicates that there were two small glasshouse ranges along the S face of the N wall, a semicircular glasshouse in the NE corner, and a single range along the S face of the E/W centre dividing wall (white-washed brick still in evidence). The OS map of 1895 illustrates an extensive range of glasshouses along the S face of the N wall which were probably

the first range of the Mackenzie & Moncur Ltd hothouses, of plainer design. The estate was acquired in 1901 by Sir James Sivewright who carried out much new building. The circa 1907 glasshouses, which are prime and rare examples of their type, are virtually unaltered and have functioned efficiently for almost 100 years as the gardens were later run on a semi-commercial basis for the Scottish Police College (opened 1954).

This walled garden, intrinsically linked to the history of Tulliallan Castle, maintains most of its character and original structural fabric although a car park has lately overtaken its S portion encroaching

upon the S and E walls. The head gardener retired in September 2002 and the garden is scheduled to close by the end of 2002.

References

Bibliography

W Roy, MILITARY SURVEY OF SCOTLAND (1747-1754). S N Morrison, MAP OF CLACKMANNAN AS POLITICALLY EXTENDED (1848). ORDNANCE SURVEY Maps (1861, 1895, 1913). MACKENZIE & MONCUR CATALOGUE OF HORTICULTURAL BUILDINGS (1907)

p34. INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND: VOL 4 (1987) pp415-420.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINCARDINE, TULLIALLAN CASTLE (SCOTTISH POLICE COLLEGE), WALLED GARDEN INCLUDING CONSERVATORY AND GLASSHOUSES, POTTING SHED, FREE STANDING GLASSHOUSE, BOILER HOUSE, BOUNDARY WALLS AND SUNDIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 07:35