Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BALLINDALLOCH, SOUTH LODGE, PRINTERS' ROW, INCLUDING GATEWAY TO WEST AND BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPOSTS TO SOUTH OF ESTATELB49011

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020
Date Added
30/10/2002
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Balfron
NGR
NS 54089 88188
Coordinates
254089, 688188

Description

Dated 1924. Single storey and attic; asymmetrical; lodge. Vernacular revival design with crowstepped gables with beaked skewputts and slightly projecting external chimney stacks; Renaissance pediments to 2 openings to W. Harled with sandstone ashlar dressings (those to E painted). Base course; eaves course; vertical margins at arrises. Architraved openings.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Pedimented entrance (dated '1924') to centre; 2-leaf boarded timber replacement door. Gabled projecting bay to left; mullioned bipartite to ground floor; window above. Window to each floor to right bay; that to attic pedimented dormer.

S ELEVATION: gabled projecting bay to left; mullioned bipartite to ground floor; window above. Entrance set back to right (obscured by late 20th century conservatory); replacement glazed door. Window above to right and one to far right of ground floor. Single storey lean-to adjoins to outer right.

N ELEVATION: gabled projecting bay to right; attic window at base of projecting chimney stack. Enlarged opening/late 20th century conservatory set back to ground floor to right; large window above. Single storey lean-to adjoins to outer left.

Mainly 9 and 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Tall wallhead stack to right return of projecting bay to S; gablehead stack to N; both coped; round cans.

INTERIOR: not inspected.

GATEWAY TO W AND GATEPOSTS AND BOUNDARY WALL TO S OF ESTATE: earlier 20th century entrance gateway to Ballindalloch estate to W of lodge; comprising 3 square-plan concrete gatepiers (that to E for pedestrian entrance); all panelled and corniced with stepped coping; gatepiers of identical design (probably earlier 19th century) to E (pedestrian gateway) and SW (carriage/cart entrance). Coursed sandstone rubble boundary wall along roadside in between; mainly with droved rounded coping.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with the Old Stables, Sundial, Walled Garden and N Lodge (see separate list descriptions). A well detailed earlier 20th century lodge. A smaller previous lodge (of which this could be a substantial remodelling) appears on the 1861 OS map. The Ballindalloch estate/house appears on Edgar's map (1745, published 1777). It later became the home of Robert Dunmore, who built a cotton mill in Balfron in 1790. In 1868 the original house was demolished and rebuilt. It was largely demolished in the late 1960's and only a small section now remains intact as 'Ballindalloch'.

References

Bibliography

William Edgar, A MAP OF STIRLINGSHIRE (1745, published 1777); 1861 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP, 1/2500, Stirlingshire Sheet XXI.I; 1918 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP, 1/2500, Stirlingshire Sheet NXX.4; Jim Thomson, THE BALFRON HERITAGE (1991) p61.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALLINDALLOCH, SOUTH LODGE, PRINTERS' ROW, INCLUDING GATEWAY TO WEST AND BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPOSTS TO SOUTH OF ESTATE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 07:06