Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Blairgowrie And Rattray
NO 17891 45079
317891, 745079


1858. Gothic church with 6-bay nave and square 2-stage tower with octagonal spire. Small blocks of roughly squared and snecked rubble with sandstone ashlar dressings, some stugged. Raised ashlar base course and eaves course. Sawtooth-coped, 2- and 3-stage buttresses; hoodmoulds with label stops. Trefoil- and multifoil-headed lights, some set into pointed-arch frames; traceried NE window. Chamfered reveals, stone mullions and raked cills. Boarded timber doors with decorative ironwork hinges.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: stone-finialled gabled elevation. Centre bay with steps up to deeply-moulded doorway with flanking engaged colonettes and 2-leaf doors under elaborate stepped hoodmould with trefoil moulding at each step and as blind arcade at apex, and flanking buttresses with moulded detail at 1st stage; broad, 3-part window above with wide 2-light traceried centre and glazed trefoil in gablehead. Flanking bays each with 2-light window in pointed-arch frame. Tower (see below) to outer right.

TOWER: engaged 1st stage with moulded doorway to NE giving way to stepped and battered dividing course adjoining 3-stage angle buttresses. 2nd stage with narrow light at centre NE and narrow bipartite to NW giving way to corbelled, rectangular-plan, 2-part, louvered opening piercing mutuled cornice and rising into pedimented clock face at each elevation. Set-back, finialled octagonal spire with tiny fleche to alternate faces close to apex.

SE ELEVATION: 5 regularly-disposed bays, each with tall 2-light window and dividing buttresses; voussoired, roll-moulded, pointed-arch doorway with flanking buttresses forming small porch. Glazed rooflight to right and 2 diminutive roof ventilators close to ridge.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with tall traceried lancet to right, pointed-arch opening high up at centre and gablehead stack. Low piend-roofed projection (vestry) with door and 2 windows adjoining Church Hall (see below) beyond. Steps down to basement boiler room.

Largely diamond-pattern leaded glazing with some coloured glass and margin glazing to traceried windows; small pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates with fishscale bands to spire. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: raked gallery with simply carved panelled front on cast-iron columns to E; simple fixed timber pew benches, some box pews at gallery, and alternate pews with cast-iron umbrella stands; broad-span, timber-lined, hammerbeam roof. Vestibule with carved stone font, decoratively-panelled doors and cantilevered winding staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters; marble, timber and bronze mural monuments including WWI memorials (see Notes). Aisle doors lead to body of church with dominant carved organ housing to W incorporating lectern at centre and flanked by pointed-arch doors with traceried windows beyond; carved pulpit and font. Tower clock dated 1869 by Blairgowrie maker.

CHURCH HALL: rectangular-plan, slated, rubble hall with decorative bargeboarding, decorative ironwork finials and boarded timber doors.

SW ELEVATION: centre bay with raised-centre tripartite window in over-arched frame; timber doors to flanking pitch-roofed porches with raised ashlar base course.

NE ELEVATION: square-headed window to centre, low building (vestry) projecting at right and blocked door at left.

SE ELEVATION: door and 3 small windows grouped toward outer right.

INTERIOR: boarded dadoes; boarded doors with decorative ironwork door furniture to vestry, and panelled doors; timber fire surrounds. Large 4-part folding door and some open-timbered roof space with metalwork braces.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Opened 2nd December, 1858 by Reverend Dr Guthrie of Edinburgh, as the Free South Church. Macdonald describes it as a "chaste, comparatively plain Gothic nave about 85' long by 44' high", he continues "the church as a whole, in its external aspect and its internal arrangements, is such as secures a high degree of comfort for the congregation". The building became St Mary's South Church when the nearby St Mary's Parish Church was demolished during the 1970s, at which time some mural monuments were added to the vestibule. St Mary's South closed on 29th January, 2002 at which time the congregation united with St Andrews Church to form Blairgowrie Parish Church.



John Macdonald HISTORY OF BLAIRGOWRIE (1899), p96.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to REFORM STREET, ST MARY'S SOUTH CHURCH (FORMERLY CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING CHURCH HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 00:28