Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

PEEBLES, SOUTH PARK WOOD, FORMER RAILWAY TUNNELLB48931

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
01/10/2002
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Peebles
NGR
NT 40327 40240
Coordinates
340327, 640240

Description

Opened 1864 for the Caledonian Railway. Railway tunnel with horseshoe entrances to W and E. Rock-faced ashlar voussoirs and wing walls with polished ashlar courses; droved ashlar voussoirs to E entrance. Red stock brick lining to tunnel.

W (NEIDPATH VIADUCT) ELEVATION (NT 23404 40227): long sloping cutting leading to horseshoe arch tunnel with rusticated voussoirs; coping and band courses suggesting faux parapet. Later brick wall with now missing central door positioned within tunnel entrance. To left, sloped ashlar wall with deeply overhanging quoins abutting main tunnel wall. To right, high wall with flat quoins abutting main tunnel wall and stepped to follow contour of hill.

E (SOUTH WOOD PARK) ELEVATION (NT 23932 40327): long sloping cutting, similar to that at W entrance. To left, brick retaining wall to left bank of cutting; to right, natural random rock forming retaining wall. Horseshoe ashlar arch tunnel with rusticated voussoirs and droved ashlar entrance; coping and band course suggesting faux parapet. Later brick in-fill to tunnel with now missing central door. Remains of small ashlar trough near tunnel entrance and culvert spanning burn to E.

INTERIOR: almost straight brick lined horseshoe tunnel extending from W to E with a slight bend towards the E (Peebles) end. Tracks now removed, cinders and ballast from track bed remaining.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of an A-Group with Neidpath Viaduct (listed separately). The viaduct displays fine masonry, brick lining and is relatively complete; it is a rare survivor of the now closed and largely dismantled railway heritage of the Borders. Originally this tunnel carried the railway line to Symington, Biggar & Broughton. As this tunnel was sited to the west of Peebles, it was built and owned by the Caledonian Railway. The tunnel, cut through a projecting shoulder of rock under the South Park Woods, formed part of the main Glasgow-Carlisle line. Originally, a line had been proposed by the Caledonian Railway in 1846 but had met with fierce opposition in Parliament by the North British Railway (who ran the line to the East of Peebles). Subsequently the line was delayed until permission was granted to the Syminton Biggar and Broughton Railway (who had been funded by the Caledonian Company) to construct it. By the time the line was opened, the SB & B Railway had been absorbed into the larger Caledonian Railway. The tunnel is contemporary with the Neidpath Viaduct (list separately). Apart from carrying passenger trains, the line was much used during World War II for the transportation of wartime goods such as raw materials to factories and cloth from the mills. It is believed the tunnel was also used to "hide" the Royal Train while the King and Queen went to inspect the damage caused by the Blitz in Clydeside; although there is some doubt as to whether this plan was ever implemented as the tunnel was single track and other trains used the line at the time in question. The viaduct and tunnel remained in use until the early 1960s although the passenger service ended in June 1950. The tunnel was latterly used by the Wemyss and March estate for the movement of timber. The nearby viaduct now forms part of a Peebles town walk, although the tunnel is not open to the public.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1896) showing Neidpath Viaduct. J Buchan, HISTORY OF PEEBLESHIRE (1925) Vol. 1 pp252-3. John Thomas, FORGOTTEN RAILWAYS OF SCOTLAND (1982) p40. Gordon Biddle and OS Nock, THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF GREAT BRITAIN (1983) p123. C A Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) p240 for information on Neidpath Viaduct. Scottish Borders Council, TWEED WALK, PEEBLES (updated 1997) p7. John Dent and Rory McDonald, FARM & FACTORY, REVOLUTION IN THE BORDERS (2001) p62, plan of 'Railways in the Borders' p61.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PEEBLES, SOUTH PARK WOOD, FORMER RAILWAY TUNNEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/05/2021 17:14