Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, BACK STREET, STEPHEN MEMORIAL HALLLB48799

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
02/08/2002
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98722 85931
Coordinates
298722, 685931

Description

1883. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan hall. Tooled snecked ashlar. Droved, chamfered ashlar long and short quoins to window and door surrounds. Decorative doorpiece with dated gablet. Sloping head to advanced base course. Modern rear lean-to extension.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation; central door; moulded, chamfered, curved, flat-arch to doorpiece and fanlight. Chamfered pointed arch above; monogram of 'W A S' below and 'STEPHEN MEMORIAL HALL'. Advanced hoodmould; decorative label stops. Corniced gablet above door; chamfered stone set within, dated 'A.D. 1883'. Cross within circle finial to pediment. Tall tripartite windows flank door; chamfered stone mullions.

W ELEVATION: central tripartite window; taller central window. Pointed ashlar arched stonework above. Rectangular louvred opening above. Lean-to to left; timber boarded door to right.

N ELEVATION: 7 windows to rear.

W ELEVATION: attached to Little Sandhaven.

8 panes to each window; central top 2 panes tilt open. Modern fenestration to rear. Timber panelled 2-leaf door. Pitched slate roof; crowstepped skews to S facing E gable shared with Little Sandhaven; arch within skewputt. Raised, flat skews elsewhere; swept skewputts to W; slightly swept roof to S. Roll finial to W gable. Corniced gable apex stack to E. Corniced brick wallhead stack to rear (between hall and extension); swept shoulders; circular can.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as a Sunday school (at a cost of ?500) for the adjacent Free Church (now Cunninghame House, see separate list) and named after Rev W Stephen, a church elder. The building complements the nearby Cunninghame House and replaces an earlier rectangular-plan building, which is depicted on the 1860 map.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Perthshire Map, CXLII.4, 1860; A Cunningham, ROMANTIC CULROSS, TORRYBURN, CARNOCK, CAIRNEYHILL, SALINE AND PITFIRRANE, 1902, p45; J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, 1988, p151,

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, BACK STREET, STEPHEN MEMORIAL HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 06:25