Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

3 SEAFORD STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB48783

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
01/08/2002
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Burgh
Kilmarnock
NGR
NS 42406 37642
Coordinates
242406, 637642

Description

Circa 1890. 2-storey, 3-bay, shallow L-plan Italianate villa with porch in re-entrant angle, and single storey wing to right; later garages adjoining to far right; contained within walled garden. Bull-faced red Ballochmyle ashlar sandstone base course; coursed polished pink ashlar E elevation; coursed quarry-faced, pink sandstone ashlar sides. Overhanging bracketed eaves.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps leading to painted, architraved segmental-arched entrance doorway in re-entrant angle; piended slate canopy with blocked and bracketed eaves, supported on decorated, stylised consoles; arched window to 1st floor. To left: single storey, 3-sided canted bay window with chamfered arrises and thin stone sill; bracketed, 3-sided, piended roof, ornate painted wrought-iron finial work surmounting to ridgeline; arched bipartite window to 1st floor. Advanced bay to right: matching bay window to ground floor, with 3-sided roof and wrought-iron finials; arched tripartite window to 1st floor. Single storey, piended wing adjoining to right: single rectangular window, and bracketed eaves. To right, adjoining rubble wall with plain stone copes, door leading to rear of property and two further garage doors to right. Brick wall continuing to north boundary of property: raised centre with sliding timber door; segmental pottery copes to right section of wall, timber door to extreme right. To left of main house: rubble wall with segmental copes, timber door to right adjacent to house.

N ELEVATION: partially concealed, regularly fenestrated, single storey wing to ground floor. To 1st floor of main house, segmental-arched window with slightly projecting sill to extreme left and right, paired wallhead stacks between, bracketed eaves.

2-pane timber sash and case windows, arched to 1st floor. Piended grey slate roof, aluminium ridging and flashings. Ornate wrought-iron brattishing to piended roofs of ground floor bays. Stepped, paired, yellow brick wallhead stacks to N elevation with narrow projecting neck cope and 2 plain cans; lower yellow brick stack to S elevation.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

Statement of Special Interest

Seaford Street was built on Ward's Nursery. It was named after Charles Augustus, 2nd Baron Seaford, and 6th Baron Howard De Walden. The villa is prominently sited on Seaford Street at its junction with Charles Street. Listed as a good example of a little altered, well-detailed villa.

References

Bibliography

Charles Reid, PLAN OF THE TOWN OF KILMARNOCK (1880) showing tramline at boundary of land. Kilmarnock ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1896) showing house. Frank Beattie, STREETS & NEUKS - OLD KILMARNOCK (2000) p66 for Seaford Street.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3 SEAFORD STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 11:06