Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
NS 42806 37934
242806, 637934


1762; later addition and repairs. Single span, segmental-arched bridge Coursed sandstone ashlar of varying colours, inset ashlar voussoirs; coursed tooled and droved rubble parapet.

NE AND SW ELEVATIONS: abutments concealed by later coursed rubble and brick retaining walls of buildings adjoining riverside; single segmental arch with slightly recessed ashlar voussoirs breaking into parapet, coursed ashlar and rubble spandrels; drip mould leading to slightly recessed rubble parapet, flush rectangular copes surmounting.

NW & SE ELEVATIONS: fairly narrow tarmac road with parapet sides joining Sandbed Street to the junction of Strand and Bank Streets.

Statement of Special Interest

Sometimes referred to as the "Old Bridge" or "Town Bridge", Sandbed is the oldest bridge in Kilmarnock. It stands over the Kilmarnock Water and links Cheapside and Bank Street with the Sandbed (Street). When Timothy Pont visited Kilmarnock in 1612, he described its predecessor as "a faire stone bridge" but by 1658 Richard Franck thought it to be "wretchedly ancient". A new bridge followed and was repaired in 1753 after a devastating flood. This "new" bridge was constructed and it carried the main Glasgow Road through the town before King Street was opened up. It was also the venue for the town's market until the Flesh Market Bridge (on the site of the present Burn's Mall) was constructed in 1770. An enclosed bridge can be viewed to the NE, this carries King Street to The Cross and has a row of shops (formerly Victoria Place) on it. A sculpture of a swimmer and fish can be seen on the pavement of King Street marking the spot where the Kilmarnock Water passes beneath.



Timothy Pont, CUNNINGHAM TOPOGRAPHIZED (1609) for notes on Kilmernock (Kilmarnock). Charles Reid, PLAN OF THE TOWN OF KILMARNOCK (1783). William Crawford, EXTRACT FROM THE LORDSHIP AND BARONY OF KILMARNOCK (circa 1790) copied by William Newlands (1885). John Malkin, PICTORIAL HISTORY OF KILMARNOCK (1989) p91. Frank Beattie, STREETS AND NEUKS - OLD KILMARNOCK (2000) pp65-66.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SANDBED STREET, SANDBED BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/05/2023 03:26