Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

34 LONDON ROADLB48761

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
01/08/2002
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Burgh
Kilmarnock
NGR
NS 43487 37768
Coordinates
243487, 637768

Description

Circa 1838; later additions by Thomas Smellie, 1898. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular classical villa with 19th century rear additions and single storey wing. Coursed sandstone ashlar, harled and painted to front elevations. Base and band course. Angle pilasters supporting eaves cornice. Projecting sills to rear elevation.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance: 2-leaf timber panelled door within architraved door surround, rectangular glazed fanlight surmounting, Doric column to flanks supporting rectangular moulded, corniced pediment; window to left bay. 2-storey, 3-light canted bay window to right; banded sill course supporting window to 1st floor left and central bay. Single storey rectangular entrance to left of main house, former tradesmen's entrance to rear now in-filled to form modern garage. Single storey, single bay wing to right of main house: slight projection containing oeil-de-boeuf window with 4 prominent keystones, ornate surround: projecting sill supporting balusters, arched moulded cornice with oversized keystone surmounting, corniced parapet with relief balustrade detail to centre concealing roofline.

NW ELEVATION: blind gable with much later single storey garage concealing ground floor elevation; central wallhead stack.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: essentially 2-storey, 3-bay. Enclosed timber and gazed porch to centre, entered to right return; window immediately to the right; window to outer bays of ground floor. Larger 3-light staircase window to centre of 1st floor,

SE ELEVATION: original elevation concealed at ground floor by: to ground floor left, single storey wing with narrow window to right, slightly lower extension to far right with regularly placed paired windows. Window to 1st floor right on original house, blind wall to 1st floor of late 19th century extension with central wallhead stack.

Piended grey slate roof to main house, rear extension and single storey wing. Replacement metal ridging and flashing. Piended grey slate roof to bay window following cants of bay and adjoining main roof to rear. 2-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to upper sash; 6-pane timber window to 1st floor central bay on principal elevation with heavy timber mullion and upper transom. Fixed 12-pane oeil-de-boeuf window to single storey wing. 9-pane fixed timber staircase window to rear: 3 long lower lights, 6 smaller upper lights. Tall coursed ashlar stacks, projecting corniced neck cope, 3 tall moulded cans, later stack to rear of same principle with 2 cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

Statement of Special Interest

London Road was a fashionable address in the town, along with Portland Road and Dundonald Road. Originally a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road with open aspects to the north and south. This villa started life as a plain classical 2-storey, 3-bay villa, like many of the older properties. The 1st Edition Ordnance survey map shows the London Road villas with names, not numbers. No. 34 London Road was previously called "Gowanbrae" in the middle of the 19th century. The bay window was added in the later part of the 19th century, when many older villas were not replaced, merely made more fashionable by means of additions. By the end of the 19th century, its name had become "Enrick". Plans of 1898 show the villa was nearly doubled in size by means of a rear addition and a side wing. The elaborate window surround is unique in Kilmarnock. Thomas Smellie (1860 - 1938), Partick architect, was responsible for these changes. He had worked with Gabriel Andrew in the latter stages of the 1880's, but set up his own practice in Grange Place. He lived in Burnside (on London Road) before moving to 46 Portland Road on to which he added a studio, still there today.

References

Bibliography

Kilmarnock 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1857) showing house. Kilmarnock Dean of Guild, Case 400 -500, plan number 452: ADDITIONS TO ENRICK, LONDON ROAD (1898, Thomas Smellie, architect, Grange Place). Rob Close, AYRSHIRE & ARRAN - AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p 113. Rob Close, SOME KILMARNOCK ARCHITECTS (1999, part of Kilmarnock & District History Society's ASPECTS OF LOCAL HISTORY) p56. Frank Beattie, STREETS & NEUKS - OLD KILMARNOCK (2000) p47.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 34 LONDON ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 08:41