Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GLENGYLE HOUSE STEADING INCLUDING COBBLED YARDLB48701

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
26/06/2002
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Parish
Callander
National Park
Loch Lomond And The Trossachs
NGR
NN 38639 13492
Coordinates
238639, 713492

Description

Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

Early to mid 19th century, possibly incorporating late 18th century or earlier fabric. Single storey, U-plan steading. Random rubble including large boulders, slaister pointing.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced arm to left; central door; window to left flank. Window and door to right return. Advanced arm to right; inserted 2-leaf door to centre; door in left return. Connecting range set back to centre; inserted doorway to far left; door to near centre and far right, small square window between doors.

NW ELEVATION: door to far left; 2 advanced modern buttresses with segmental archway between. Door to right of archway; blocked window to right of door; single window to far right.

NE ELEVATION: 3 ventilation slits to far left byre; possible drainage hole to near centre; small blocked opening/window to centre; window to right; large inserted door to right; window to far right.

SE ELEVATION: off-centre door to left; 2 ventilation slits to left of door; 3 to right.

Timber boarded doors. 2-pane upper windows with timber louvers below to W arm windows. Piended slate roof, slightly swept; slates laid in diminishing courses. Numerous rooflights.

INTERIOR: 3 rooms to W; dividing rubble walls between do not reach present roof level. S room; lime plastered walls; impress of possible former flue to N wall; changes in wallhead height visible. Archway from NW leads into small middle room; projection of stonework in S inner wall (rear of possible flue). Further small room to N; blocked opening between N and middle rooms. Linear animal shed to central section; later feeding troughs; timber boarding between rooms. Splayed ventilation slits to E byre; stone partition wall between this and central section. Inserted loft to S. Common open rafter timber roof.

COBBLED YARD: cobbled section between 2 arms of steading.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Glenglye House and Glengyle Burial Enclosure. Two buildings are depicted on Stobie's 1783 map to the NE of Glengyle House. It is possible that one of these were farm buildings which have been incorporated into the present U-plan range. Variations in the stone hint at differing stages of development of the steading. Evidence of what may have been a chimney flue in the W arm of the steading possibly suggests residential use at some point and there are indications that the height of the wallhead has been altered. The building is sited on sloping land which dips down to the SW with rocky outcrops to the rear. It was the former steading of Glengyle House (see separate List), the birthplace of Rob Roy MacGregor. The MacGregor of Glengyle burial enclosure lies to the W of the steading. Glengyle is mentioned by Sir Walter Scott both in The Lady of The Lake and in Rob Roy. Loch Katrine and Glengyle became popular places of Romantic and literary pilgrimage in the 19th century; both William Wordsworth and James Hogg visited. It is largely for its association with Glengyle House that the steading is listed. For further information see Glengyle House list description.

References

Bibliography

J Stobie, THE COUNTIES OF PERTH AND CLACKMANNAN Map (1805). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1867). C McKean, STIRLING AND THE TROSSACHS (1985) p101.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENGYLE HOUSE STEADING INCLUDING COBBLED YARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/10/2022 00:56