Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

NIDDRIE MAINS ROAD, THISTLE FOUNDATION, 1-11 (INCLUSIVE NOS), 14-18 (INCLUSIVE NOS) QUEEN'S WALK, 1-19 CHAPEL COURT AND 1-23 (INCLUSIVE NOS) WEST COURT AND COVERED WALKWAYSLB48687

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/06/2002
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 29341 71494
Coordinates
329341, 671494

Description

Stuart Matthew of Lorimer & Matthew, won in competition, 1945, erected from 1946, officially opened 1950, with later additions and alterations. Northern section and western court of 'Scotch' style village built for disabled ex-servicemen and their families. Comprised of terraces of patio-plan houses, 2-bay, single storey and single storey and attic, and single and 2-storey special housing with 4 single storey and attic 2-bay houses. Harled, with slate or pantiled roofs, latter with red tile eaves easing courses. Slatted timber aprons to projecting triangular windows, most with glazed door on short return, some replaced with projecting rectangular windows. Strategic gables adorned with Foundation's heraldic shield and latin inscription.

Each house with entrance door flanked by carved sandstone panel detailing donor.

1-11 QUEEN'S WALK: pantiled terrace of single storey and single storey and attic houses lining entrance avenue. Garden elevations to S, each house with projecting triangular timber windows in bay to right (living room), large square window to left bay (bedroom); 2-windowed flat-roofed, timber wallhead dormers at centre above, with dividing slatted panels. Blank end gable to W. Rear entrances in blank single storey elevations with doors to centre, flanking walls screening kitchens to left and private yard and store to right; 2-windowed flat-roofed timber attic dormers to centre.

14-18 QUEEN'S WALK: pantiled single and 2-storey houses, with entrances in single storey kitchen and yard elevation to N, detailed as above, and with 1st floor bedrooms lit by square windows, and with additional small WC window

between in each house. Garden elevations closing WEST COURT to N, each house with projecting window to right (no doors) and square window to left at ground, and with 2 square windows at 1st floor.

1-19 CHAPEL COURT: to E end of Queen's Walk. 3 pantiled ranges of single and single storey and attic houses, grouped in Nos 1-6, 7-14, and 15-19, around bowling green with chapel and garden to W. Detailed as 1-11 Queen's Walk, with Nos 1-14 with garden fronts to bowling green, and Nos 15-19 with entrance front to bowling green and gardens to S.

1-4 WEST COURT: pantiled single and 2-storey free-standing houses in splayed group closing West Court to W and linked by curving covered walkway. Entrances to NW, detailed as above terraces. Garden elevations to court, each as for terraced houses above but with projecting triangular windows replaced with projecting rectangular windows.

5-13 WEST COURT: 2 pantiled ranges of single and single storey and attic terraced houses grouped Nos 5-10 and 11-13, enclosing West Court to SW. Detailed as above terraces, with entrances to NE, garden elevations to SW with rectangular projecting windows.

14-23 WEST COURT: curved terrace of stepped slate-roofed houses enclosing West Court to SE. Details as above terraces with entrances to NE and rear elevation to SW with rectangular projecting windows and close to road access.

Timber fixed-pane windows and casement windows with top-hoppers, together with stained timber replacements and Mutual and end gable coped stacks. Window boxes on projecting windows carefully fixed at wheelchair height.

INTERIORS: wide doorways, 2-leaf doors to bathrooms, folding doors between bed and living rooms. Parquet flooring. Generous fenestration creating airy interiors.

COVERED WALKWAYS: near continuous covered timber walkway running around entrance elevations of houses and stepping with the ground, with solid dado, open above, occasionally with timber railings. Breaks in dadoes at intervals, aligned with pathways and junctions.

Statement of Special Interest

The houses are linked in an A-Group with the Robin Chapel, Entrance Gates and Gatepiers which are listed separately. The estate was conceived in 1944 by Sir Francis Tudsbery, as a village for disabled ex-servicemen to enable them to live in the comfort of their own homes with their families, and with the ability to received regular and skilled medical treatment on site rather than venturing to, or residing in, a hospital. Prominent figures such

as Sir Stafford Cripps, Sir John Stirling Maxwell and Lord Linlithgow were party to the origin and erection of the estate. The first sod was cut by the wife of the founder on 22 June 1946. Originally intended for 140 houses, but rising costs saw the scheme stop at 100 houses in 1950, with ?600,000 expended to this date on the building operations and equipment (houses and clinic), from subscription and accrued interest. Subscriptions came primarily from regimental bodies and led to the award of a plaque on each individual house (see description): these give the village the added value equivalent to that of war memorial status.

The term 'Scotch' or 'Scotchie' was used by Lorimer and Matthew for the traditional style which they nurtured in their commissions. The houses are of special interest for their avant-garde from as built before 1950, pre-dating but embodying many of the principles of later Government advice, and in being unique in scale and provision in the United Kingdom. Matthew, who was experienced with planning for such mass housing after work in Norwich with James, Pierce and Bywaters, took a study tour to other sites where there was provision for disabled persons prior to designing the details for the estate, such as the Astley Ainslie, and Stoke Mandeville Hospitals. The Patio plan followed a formal footprint common in housing designs in post-War Germany. The wide doorways, socket position above the ground at the Thistle Foundation, folding doors between bed and living rooms, 2-leaf bathroom doors, appropriately sited window boxes, are all indicators of the quality and sensitivity of the design for special needs. The metal surrounds to the doorways served to protect them from wheelchair wear and tear. The parquet flooring provides material distinction and is unusual in properties on such a small scale. The houses are 'Tardis' like, with generous circulation and living space. The attic and 1st floor areas provide accommodation for family, carers and visitors, and ample built-in storage. The design was commended in 1945 for avoiding any 'institutional' character. The remainder of the site, other than described is occupied by the similarly detailed, residential East and Almond Courts to the S and E, together with the institutional and community buildings. The latter include: the Clinic which is now (2002) known as the Tudsbery Centre and was extensively refurbished in 1998; the Resource Centre in the West Court has also been known as the Craft Block; and the Hopetoun Hall, off the East Court, the community recreational space. Wighton House to the SE, was added in 1969, with near contemporary additional single storey houses.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS Lorimer & Matthew Collection, including perspective of estate, and ground plans of houses. 'Housing Scheme, Craigmillar, Near Edinburgh', ARCHITECT AND BUILDING NEWS, 5.7.1946. Ministry of Local Government and Planning, 'Housing for Special Purposes', 1951. 'Dwellings for Disabled Persons', ARCHITECT AND BUILDING NEWS, 26.6.1952. Miles Glendinning, notes from interviews with Stuart Matthew, 1995, held at RCAHMS. 'Thistle Foundation Centre: Features of Winning Design', SCOTSMAN, 29.11.1945. 'The Opening of the Thistle Foundation Settlement', booklet held at RCAHMS. 'Her Majesty Open Thistle Foundation', EVENING DISPATCH, 5.9.1950. Copy correspondence held at Thistle Foundation.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NIDDRIE MAINS ROAD, THISTLE FOUNDATION, 1-11 (INCLUSIVE NOS), 14-18 (INCLUSIVE NOS) QUEEN'S WALK, 1-19 CHAPEL COURT AND 1-23 (INCLUSIVE NOS) WEST COURT AND COVERED WALKWAYS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 04:11