Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

STANLEY, PERTH ROAD, WAR MEMORIAL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGSLB48627

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
09/05/2002
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Redgorton
NGR
NO 10778 33050
Coordinates
310778, 733050

Description

1924. First World War memorial. 3-stage plinth surmounted by pedestrian soldier. Second World War roll-of-honour added. Ashlar. 3 reducing steps surmounted by swept rectangular-plan 1st stage plinth giving way to uncut stone 2nd stage bearing bronze plaques; battered 3rd stage also with bronze plaques, that to E inscribed 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF OUR BELOVED DEAD' and surmounted by kilted soldier leaning against rock.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: low ashlar boundary walls with inset railings; square-

plan gatepiers and 2-leaf ironwork gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Sited in enclosed area next to St Columba's Church. In 1922 ex-servicemen from Stanley with Captain W Elliott of the Church Army decided to raise a memorial to the fallen of World War I. Funds were raised, with a large donation from the nearby St Columba's Episcopal Church. The memorial was unveiled in 1924 by Dr Laura Sandeman of Aberdeen, eldest daughter of Colonel Frank Stewart Sandeman, former owner of Stanley Mill. A World

War II commemorative plaque was added on 24 April 1949 and unveiled by

Sir Thomas Riddell Webster then President of British Legion Scotland.

References

Bibliography

Lynn Kendal ST COLUMBA'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, STANLEY 1898-1998 (1998).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STANLEY, PERTH ROAD, WAR MEMORIAL INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 14:26