Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GLENAPP MANSE AND STEADINGLB4849

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
22/10/2007
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Parish
Ballantrae
NGR
NX 07537 74626
Coordinates
207537, 574626

Description

1850. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan, gabled former manse with slightly advanced kneelered, finialled, gabled central entrance bay and single storey wing to rear. Whitewashed random rubble with ashlar dressings. Quoin strips; regular fenestration to front elevation; raised window margins with projecting cills. Corniced entrance architrave with inset pilasters flanking deeply recessed timber-panelled front door with fanlight; raised blank cartouche in porch gable. Irregularly fenestrated rear elevation with wing extending from left. with finialled gable and kneelered skew.

Predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Ashlar-coped skews. Limewashed, squared stone stacks with ashlar cornice and margins; tall octagonal buff clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: small porch leading to central hallway; nosed stone stairway with decorative cast-iron balusters and polished wooden handrail. Timber-panelled doors, timber window surrounds, working timber shutters, presses and simple cornicing throughout.

STEADING: L-plan steading to E of manse. 2-storey N range; single storey E range; central projecting gabled outshot with side door. Random rubble with ashlar-coped skews and grey slate stone-ridged roof. Irregular fenestration. Vehicle entrances and hayloft to N range. Some timber-boarded doors.

Statement of Special Interest

: An elegant mid 19th century manse in a picturesque location, with its associated steading little altered. The survival of the steading is unusual - as is its size which is remarkably large for a glebe of 15 acres (see below). It is possible that the steading predates the church and manse and survives from an earlier farm on the site; it could be the 'Highmark' that is shown on John Thomson and William Johnson's map of 1828.

In his 1836 report on the parish for the New Statistical Account (1845), Rev. John Milroy reports: 'A few years ago, a benevolent lady of the name of Caddall bequeathed the sum of L.4500, and 15 acres of land, to build and endow a chapel and school in Glenapp in connection with the Established Church, and also to found a bursary for a student preparing for the ministry. The trustees whom she nominated have set the school and the bursary in operation, have selected the land for the glebe, and intend to proceed with the chapel as soon as the funds, after the necessary building and inclosing, will afford a decent competency to a clergyman. Persons of the names of Butters and Caddall are to be preferred.' The school (not listed), originally known as Butters School and now converted for residential use, is a single-storey building very similar in style to the manse, situated to the west. The church, originally known as Butters Chapel, was built in 1850 between school and manse, to the designs of Peter Macgregor Chalmers, and is B-listed. An advertisement seeking contractors for Butter's Manse, as the manse was originally known, appeared in the Ayr Advertiser on 25 April 1850; no architect is mentioned. The manse was later known as Manse of the Mark and more recently as Glenapp Manse.

References

Bibliography

shown on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1854-9). New Statistical Account of Scotland (1845), Vol.V, p423. Ayr Advertiser, 25 April 1850. Francis H Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1883), Vol.III, p178.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENAPP MANSE AND STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2024 20:54