Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
NO 27498 25881
327498, 725881


1802 with older (probably) stair tower, altered mid and late 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, classically-detailed house. Squared and snecked rubble, some Aberdeen-bond, with ashlar dressings and raised quoins. Eaves cornice and blocking course.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with concave moulded doorpiece, deep-set 9-panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight, window above; canted bay to left with tripartite window to each floor and dividing cornice; slightly-advanced wide-centre tripartite, also with dividing cornice, to each floor of bay to right. 3 finialled, round-headed dormer windows above.

SW ELEVATION: projecting gable to outer right with window to ground right and attic window to centre, bipartite below single window on return to left; conical-roofed projecting stair tower in re-entrant with bipartite beyond to left; modern 2-leaf glazed door below bipartite in penultimate bay to left and 4-light canted window with polygonal roof to outer left.

NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with variety of elements including gable to left with altered door, piended bay to right and 2 single storey bays to recessed centre.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: large blank gable to right with single storey additions in re-entrant to left.

Mostly 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and cans. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: some fine decorative plasterwork and panelled shutters. Vestibule leads to screen door and semicircular fanlight with tiny mask at apex; intarsia tiled hall floor; marble and carved timber fireplaces. Curved stair with plain balusters and timber handrail; gothic arches to 1st floor landing and plasterwork roundel to ceiling light in attic.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: flat-coped rubble boundaries with pyramidally-coped square-section gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Waterybutts was, for many years, owned by the 12th century Cupar (Coupar Angus) Abbey. Possibly with a 15th century friary on this site, though with a number of Abbey records extant, this would probably be recorded. James Blair of Newbigging acquired the property in 1654, the lands passing to his daughter Catherine and upon her marriage in 1671 to Peter Hay, to the Leys family. By 1811, Lieutenant John Murray was selling to John Matthews, and George Constable (born 1774) subsequently purchased the lands of Waterybutts. Catherine Playfair (a common name in the Carse) married William Constable in 1834. Patrick Hunter (died 1906), chairman of General Accident for fifteen years, farmed Waterybutts, Bendoch in Coupar Angus and Ardgaith where he was born. There is an early lean-to greenhouse adjoining the steading to N. Waterybutts Dovecot is listed separately.



Information courtesy of RCAHMS. Melville ERROL (1935).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WATERYBUTTS HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/10/2022 10:30