Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1 EASDALE ISLANDLB48054

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
28/08/1980
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Kilbrandon And Kilchattan
NGR
NM 73995 17046
Coordinates
173995, 717046

Description

Earlier 19th century. Single storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan improved cottage, originally 2. Harled whinstone and slate rubble.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay regular fenestration.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4-bay, modern timber panelled door to 3rd bay, 5th bay obscured by abutting building.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: harled gable end.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with Easdale Island numbers: Harbour Breastwork; 2,3,4,5; 8,100,6; Drill Hall; 9; 11,11A, 11B; 12; 12A; 13; 15; 32,18,19; 29; 23; 24; 31,33A, 33; 34,35; 41,42,43,44; 47; 48; 36; 50,51,52,53,54; Coalery; 55, ordered to follow the original numbering from east to west across Easdale Island, not in actual numeric order. Easdale Island houses were built as accommodation for slate quarriers and their families. The earliest houses were built when the first permanent workers were brought in to work the quarries by the Marquis of Breadalbane's Marble and Slate Company of Netherlorn in 1745. For further information on the history of the island and its slate industry see Notes to Harbour Breastwork. These were cottages of one or two rooms, unglazed with central hearths and thatched with reeds or heather. In the late eighteenth century the company agreed to supply slate for roofing the cottages. The cottages being given the small and poorly shaped slates that could not be shipped. The older slate roofs in Easdale having unusually small slates. At this time coal was also introduced to replace peat as fuel with the introduction of gable end chimney flues and stacks. The cottages found today date from this period, early to mid nineteenth century, through to the slate quarries peak in the mid to late nineteenth century, when the quarries were leased to the Easdale Slate Company. The cottages follow the simple, efficient 'improved cottage' form of estate cottages from this period across Scotland, whereby symmetry, gable end chimneystacks, proper flooring and solid masonry were applied to traditional dwelling type. Each house was originally of the same basic plan inside as well being; a central lobby with closet behind and door to the kitchen /living area on one side and to the bedroom on the other. Many of the cottages have rear gardens with thick slate garden walls. These gardens were cultivated for food in the nineteenth century when the supply of food to the island problematic. It can be noticed that many of the gardens have higher ground levels than the surrounding area. This is because Easdale itself has virtually no top soil so Irish soil was brought from Belfast and Dublin as ballast on return trips, which the quarriers piled up within their walled garden. With over sixty full-time residents Easdale is again a busy community. However, there was massive depopulation following the closure of the quarries in 1915. The Breadalbane family sold the island in 1930 with the island going into further decline until purchased by a Donald Dewar in 1950. Dewar hastened the ruination of the island with removal of many of the slate roofs to avoid paying rates on the buildings. The island was then bought by Peter Fennell in the 1970s when the majority of the buildings were in ruins. Fennell restored and rebuilt many of the houses with the help of local craftsmen. Fennell then sold them as individual feudal plots as people returned to the island in the 1980s.

References

Bibliography

Information provided by Easdale Island Folk Museum.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 EASDALE ISLAND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 04:45