Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CLOVA, BRANDYBURN HOUSE (FORMER MANSE)LB4790

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/01/1980
Supplementary Information Updated
21/09/2016
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Cortachy And Clova
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NO 32615 73051
Coordinates
332615, 773051

Description

Probably 1855 (possibly including earlier fabric) with 1867 additions and alterations. 2-storey, roughly 3 bay former manse with gabled dormers and tripartite windows to S (front) elevation, dominant cat-slide roof to N (road) elevation and piend-roofed wing to W (see Notes). Random rubble with red sandstone dressings. Raised window and door margins.

FURTHER DETAILS: principal elevation to S with off-centre timber panelled front door, window to left of centre and tripartite windows with timber mullions to outer bays; nepus gable to centre of first floor with gabled dormers to outer bays; piend-roofed 1-bay wing slightly recessed to left. Broad catslide roof with 4 modern rooflights to N elevation; piend-roofed outshot with timber-boarded back door to right.

Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Plain bargeboards. Rendered, coped gablehead stacks with yellow clay cans. Welsh slate roof.

INTERIOR: curved timber staircase with decorative cast-iron baluster. Simple timber chimneypieces with cast-iron grates in most rooms. Timber panelled interior doors throughout.

FORMER STABLE: to N of house, modernised with large porch and windows.

Statement of Special Interest

A parish manse of traditional character, relatively little-altered since the end of the 19th century. The steep catslide roof, which is visible from the road, is a particularly striking feature.

Drawings in the National Archives of Scotland shows plans for extending the manse. The original building was single storey, and seems to have included the piend-roofed wings (there use to be another adjoining the E gable, evidence of which is still visible), although they are likely to have been a slightly earlier addition. The additions involved building a 2nd storey, and adding a central corridor and additional rooms to the rear of the cottage. The additions were not carried out in exact accordance with the plans in the NAS: the ground floor alterations were built roughly as planned, but the 1st floor was originally intended to be an attic storey with 2 large dormers in the roof. The original building probably dates from 1855 when the new church was built: this date would be suitable for the tripartite windows on the ground floor, which are shown as existing on the 1867 plan. The previous list description for the manse mentions an 1816 datestone, but this is likely to have been taken from an earlier building. The Ordnance Survey Name Book describes Clova Manse as 'a neat building with gardens attached'.

References

Bibliography

Shown on first edition OS map (1862); alterations shown on 2nd edition OS map (1900). Ordnance Survey Name Book, FORFARSHIRE: CORTACHY AND CLOVA, Book 15. Plan for additions to Clova Manse at NAS, reference RHP7862 (dated 12.4.1867).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLOVA, BRANDYBURN HOUSE (FORMER MANSE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 02:43