Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LOANHEAD, MEMORIAL PARK GATEWAY, GATE, WALL AND MONUMENTLB47742

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
22/03/2001
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Burgh
Loanhead
NGR
NT 27898 65443
Coordinates
327898, 665443

Description

1922. Commemorative arch, boundary wall, cast-iron railings and gate; separate World War II monument within park, lion statue on top.

N ELEVATION (adjoining The Loan): Memorial World War I modern triumphal archway; red tile roof, raised in centre, inset panel inscribed "IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THOSE FROM LOANHEAD AND DISTRICT WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 THIS PARK AND GATEWAY ARE DEDICATED

- Their name liveth for evermore", curved wing walls to flanks, 2 name panels to each, band course above and squared end piers, stone coping, cast-iron railings; cast-iron gate.

WALL: low stone wall with cast-iron railings matching gate.

MEMORIAL: rusticated stone column, inset panels to all sides, smooth plinth, older lion statue surmounting.

Statement of Special Interest

Built in 1922, by an appointed Committee. The land, which suffered from subsidence and was not suitable for building upon, was purchased from Sir George Clerk. It was used to provide the town with a public park, the entrance to which would serve as a War Memorial for the 61 men of Loanhead and the surrounding area who had died during conflict. Within the park now stands a subsequent memorial for the 32 who died in Word War II. The site is pleasantly landscaped and still used as a recreational park.

References

Bibliography

Robertson Sutherland LOANHEAD p.158.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOANHEAD, MEMORIAL PARK GATEWAY, GATE, WALL AND MONUMENT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 07:10