Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PERTH ROAD, BLAIR ATHOL DISTILLERY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB47532

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/12/2000
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Pitlochry
NGR
NN 94590 57647
Coordinates
294590, 757647

Description

Early 19th century; rebuilt late 19th century; altered and reconditioned 1946-49. Range of buildings, single, 2- and 3-storey, forming distillery and incorporating former farmhouse and steading. Rubble with squared rubble quoins. Voussoired round- and segmental-arched openings.

SW RANGE: running NW-SE.

SW (PERTH ROAD) ELEVATION: outer left range, symmetrical 3-bay former farmhouse (Aldour House, now meeting rooms) with slated porch, dormerheaded windows breaking eaves; single storey bay to right. Recessed link bays with farmhouse to left and projecting M-gable (with 2 round-headed windows) to right; further advanced 4-bay range beyond to right with broad carriage arch and horizontally-aligned fenestration in stepped penultimate bay to right; broad buttressed gabled bay to outer right (offices and shop).

NE (COURTYARD) ELEVATIONS: sympathetically altered to office and shop premises with variety of elements including piended bay to left adjoining set-back bay over carriage arch.

N (MASH HOUSE) RANGE: running NW-SE.

SW ELEVATION: long 9-bay, 2-storey range to left with symmetrical fenestration and altered hayloft openings breaking eaves at centre and outer right. Set-back 3-storey range to right with further 2-storey bays beyond. Range extends to E with variety of elements including stepped roofline and broad gabled bay with lettering "BLAIR ATHOL DISTILLERY" fronting courtyard.

INTERIOR: cast-iron columns support timber roof to visitor centre with traditional timber mash-tun. Processing plant with Tun (fermentation) rooms containing 4 pine (and possibly larch) and 4 fibreglass 'washbacks'. 4 copper stills (2 spirit and 2 wash condensers) with makers plate 'R G Abercrombie & Co Ltd/Engineers/Copper Smith/19 ALLOA 66'. Spirit-safe labelled 'Banffshire Copper Works/Alexr Grant/Dufftown'.

SE (RECEPTION) RANGE: small single storey range running NE-SW, again sympathetically altered with variety of elements including main door to E and 2 2-leaf doors to W (courtyard) elevation.

NE RANGE: single storey, 2-bay, stepped range fronting Kinnaird Burn with sluice gates.

BONDED WAREHOUSES: filling store, bonded warehouse No 7, long, low, early M-gabled rubble range with small square windows and 2-leaf timber doors. 3 broad gabled warehouses (20th century) each with centre door, circular-effect opening in gablehead and flanking buttresses to NE and further similar pair to SW.

INTERIOR: early warehouse with timber rafters supported on cast-iron columns.

Largely multi-pane glazing patterns in timber framed windows, some plate glass glazing to altered elevations. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks. Ashlar-coped skews. Cast-iron downpipes and decorative rainwater hoppers.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low rubble boundary walls, some coped.

Statement of Special Interest

Whisky production on this site can be traced back to 1798, with the 'Aldour' distillery licensed in 1825 by Alexander Connacher. Taken over by P Mackenzie & Co Distillers in 1882, Bell's in 1955 and subsequently United Distillers in the 1980s. The former farmhouse (see above) was originally known as Allt Dour. The whisky is produced using water from the Allt Dour burn and matured in oak casks. Walls of buildings and surrounding trees are blackened by the alcoholic vapours.

References

Bibliography

Perthshire Advertiser Aug 12 1929. Colin Liddell PITLOCHRY HERITAGE OF A HIGHLAND DISTRICT (1993), Perth Library Archive BUILDING BYE-LAWS PLANS Ref 325.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PERTH ROAD, BLAIR ATHOL DISTILLERY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2019 02:44