Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 21556 63055
321556, 863055


William Kininmonth of Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul, 1957-61; extended Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul, 1975. Rectilinear Modernist town hall, articulated as interlocking blocks. Reinforced concrete frame; pre-cast aggregate facing panels over brick walls.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; central block with lower recessed wings. Steps up to 3 boarded 2-leaf doors, set between broad windows. 1st floor projecting on columns; 5 large windows with original signage below.

E ELEVATION: 4 windows to both floors to right. 2 doorways to left.

W ELEVATION: various additions to backstage area.

S ELEVATION: 5 large windows to both floors.

Geometric timber windows. Flat roof.

INTERIOR: central timber-lined hall with projecting balconies and canopies, and raked gallery to rear; low stage with angled acoustic board above; original lighting fixtures. Entrance hall containing sculpted stone from previous town hall; timber-lined telephone kiosk; original signage to telephone and toilets; stairs up to supper room and balconies; glass globe lighting fixtures.

FORMER WATER FEATURE AND FLAGPOLES: set to NE of Town Hall; wall bearing town crest flanked by angels; brick troughs and planters. 2 flagpoles.

Statement of Special Interest

Designed by one of Scotland's foremost 20th century architects, William Hardie Kininmonth, who was knighted for his services to architecture in 1972. Kininmonth trained with Sir Edwin Lutyens, worked closely with Basil Spence, and became Senior Partner in the firm of Rowand Anderson, Kininmonth & Paul. The old town hall (MacKenzie & Matthews, 1884) in Moray Street was destroyed by fire in 1939. The new town hall was built to hold a capacity of 1000 people, and the supper room 300 people. The rooms and spaces are designed to flow into one another. Large north-facing windows give a bright and airy character to the entrance hall and supper room, minimising the transition from the qualities of light and space outside the building. The hall itself is finely finished in boarded timber. Balconies and parapets produce a carefully controlled effect of solid and void, and light and dark. The contractors were Halls of Aberdeen. Two studies of the building were shown at the 1963 Royal Scottish Academy Exhibition.



MORAY, NAIRN & BANFF COURANT, 29/6/60, p16; C B de Laperriere (ed) RSA EXHIBITORS 1826-1990, VOL II, (1991), p413.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ELGIN TOWN HALL, INCLUDING FORMER WATER FEATURE AND FLAGPOLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 14:29