Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

WELLINGTON SQUARE, COUNTY BUILDINGS INCLUDING GATESLB47250

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
05/02/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
29/03/1999
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Ayr
NGR
NS 33212 21775
Coordinates
233212, 621775

Description

Alexander Mair, 1931. 2-storey, basement and attic, 17-bay inter-war classical County Buildings, with inner courtyards (adjoins Sheriff Court, see separate list description). Ashlar; channelled at ground floor. Base course; dividing band course; cornice; blocking course. Round-arched windows at ground floor.

W (PLACE DE SAINT-GERMAIN-EN-LAYE) ELEVATION: 17-bay, grouped 3-4-3-4-3; iron grilles to basement openings; cill blocks, cornices and balconies to 1st floor windows (no balconies to outer bays of end pavilions). Advanced pedimented 3-bay central entrance; Ionic columns flank central bay; keystone to square-headed entrance; 2-leaf timber door; geometrical letterbox fanlight; geometrical 'A' to wreath roundel within; 'God Shaw The Richt' (Motto of the County) and carved Coat of Arms to pediment above; flanking single windows at basement, ground and 1st floor; iron flanking flagbearers. Regular fenestration at basement, ground and 1st floor to 4 recessed bays flanking. Regular fenestration at basement, ground and 1st floor to advanced 3-bay end pavilions.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: 27-bay, grouped 4-17-3-3; architraves and aprons to 1st floor windows. Regular fenestration at basement, ground and 1st floor to advanced 4-bays to outer left (3 bays to right further advanced) (cill blocks, cornices and balconies to 1st floor windows); pedimented doorpiece to penultimate bay to right; roundel square-headed margin; 2-leaf timber door; letterbox fanlight. Regular fenestration to 17 bays at ground, 1st and attic floors; keystoned-arched entrance to courtyard to 9th bay to left; cill blocks to bowed balcony at 1st floor window aligned above. Advanced 3-bay section to right; central doorpiece as for 4 bays to outer left, single window aligned above at 1st floor; regular fenestration to remaining bays (cill blocks, cornices and balconies to 1st floor windows). Corniced, square-headed central entrance to 3-bay section to outer right, single window aligned above at 1st floor; regular fenestration to remaining bays.

N (BATH PLACE) ELEVATION: reverse of S elevation (see above) with following exceptions; round arched entrance to central bay of 3 bays to outer left; alterations at attic to 17-bay section to outer right.

Predominantly steel and timber casement windows; secondary glazing. Slate roof; rooflights; corniced ridge stacks; circular cans.

INTERIOR: 2 semi-circular staircases rise from Entrance Hall, giving access to the Council Chamber and suite of committee rooms at 1st floor; leaded stained glass windows to stairs. Committee rooms named after the 5 burghs in South Ayrshire - Troon, Prestwick, Ayr, Girvan and Maybole. Council Chamber, committee rooms and members' corridor finished in fumed oak; sliding partitions to Council Chamber to enable adjoining committee rooms to provide additional floor space for large functions.

GATES: 2-leaf iron gates to courtyard entrances; elaborate detailing, including 'A' to central roundel and Greek keywork frieze.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with Nos 1-12 (Inclusive), 16-27 (Inclusive), Sheriff Court (No 14), Monuments to James George Smith Neill, Earl of Eglinton and Wintoun, Sir James Fergusson of Kilkerran, War Memorial, and Gatepiers, Gates and Boundary Walls. The original County Buildings (now Sheriff Court) housed administrative offices, the Sheriff Court and on the site of the current County Buildings, the County Gaol. With the increase in responsibility of Ayr County Council, following the local Government (Scotland) Act of 1929 however, it became clear that the original accommodation was inadequate. The prison was demolished, and the present building erected. Smaller courtyard entered via Bath Place, adjoined the original County Buildings (access now denied). Mair's work is notable for his sympathetic alignment to Wallace's Ayr Sheriff Court, without any slavish copying, and his attention to detail bringing the classical inspiration into the 20th century, note for example the Art Deco influenced window detailing.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1909 (earlier structure evident), Ordnance Survey map, 1938 (evident); Dean of Guild, Box 50, Plan 25; AYR ADVERTISER 16.7.1931 (information courtesy of Robert Close); THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: AYRSHIRE (1951), p545; John Strawhorn and Ken Andrew DISCOVERING AYRSHIRE (1988), p104; Michael C Davis THE CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991), pp120-1; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p22; R & J Kennedy OLD AYR (1992), p12; TOLBOOTHS AND TOWN-HOUSES: CIVIC ARCHITECTURE IN SCOTLAND TO 1833 (1996), p40.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WELLINGTON SQUARE, COUNTY BUILDINGS INCLUDING GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2021 18:28