Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LOCHNELL STREET, THE COMM PUBLIC HOUSELB47130

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
04/05/2000
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Lochgilphead
NGR
NR 86261 87949
Coordinates
186261, 687949

Description

Probably early 19th century in origin; refurbished 1945-46 with later alterations. 3-storey, 2-bay block forming part of terrace with public house at ground. Painted render. Base course; corniced shopfront with fluted pilasters to outer left and right and dividing bays.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: public house at ground with single window off-set to left of centre; larger windows flanking; timber panelled door to outer right. Single windows at

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 1999.

Modern windows to front; rooflights. Grey sate roof. Corniced sandstone ridge stacks; various cans.

INTERIOR: public house comprising corridor to right with timber panelled dado; multi-pane doors. Public Bar with timber panelled dado; curved timber bar with fluted pilasters and console-bracketed top; mirrored display selves behind with back-lit panels above; brick-built fireplace with brick canopy; mirror above; enclosed dart board to left; timber benches abutting walls. Smoke Room with timber panelled dado; small, stepped fire surround with mirror above; timber benches abutting walls; original tables. Lounge at rear with timber panelled dado; large, brick-built fireplace with brick canopy. Timber benches lining walls with curvilinear partitions between;

original tables. Sliding timber door to male toilets with plaque inscribed 'Gents Lavatory - Slide it Chum'; original handle.

Statement of Special Interest

A relatively plain 3-storey block, listed primarily because of its well-detailed public house (still in use as such 1999). Refurbished in 1945-46, the quality of this detailing, the majority of which remains intact, is unusually high - the bar, dado panelling and back-lit panels being particularly good.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1864 (evident - marked as Post Office). Ordnance Survey map, 1899 (evident - marked as Public House).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOCHNELL STREET, THE COMM PUBLIC HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2022 07:23