Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BIRSEMORE, BIRSE BRAE, INCLDUING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB47103

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/03/2000
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Birse
NGR
NO 52556 97692
Coordinates
352556, 797692

Description

A Wright, granite merchant, 1894. Single storey and attic, 4-bay villa. Rough-faced coursed grey and pink granite with finely finished dressings to N Elevation; tooled pink coursed granite rubble finely finished to margins of remainder. Battered base course, and finely finished pink dividing band courses to N elevation; overhanging eaves, supported to N by finely finished grey granite brackets.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; recessed panelled timber door flanked to left and right by glazed panels, overhang supported by highly polished granite column, cast-iron bell-pull to right of column; tripartite window to slightly recessed bay to outer right; gableted 3-light canted window through ground and attic floors to penultimate bay to left, decorative floreate finial to apex; tripartite window to bay to outer left. Polished grey and pink granite kerbstones in front of base course with sphere capped dividing blocks.

W ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; single bay; roof swept down over bipartite window to centre of ground floor, segmental-arched tripartite dormer to attic above; timber panelled gablehead above.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 7-bay; regular fenestration to 3 central bays; 2 flanking bays to left obscured by modern lean-to conservatory; 2 flanking bays to right slightly recessed, bipartite window flanked to right by boarded timber door reached by stone steps.

E ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-bay; bay to left advanced, segmental-arched tripartite dormer to attic, panelled gablehead above with cast-iron finial bearing initials "AW", window to right return; recessed bay to right blank.

Predominantly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with decorative cast-iron cresting. Coped granite stacks at gableheads and breaking pitch, with circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND BOUNDARY WALLS: granite rubble boundary walls with rubble coping; lean-to ancillary structure built into wall to SE with 2 boarded timber doors and walls swept up to accommodate height. Gateway to centre of S wall. Single storey, rectangular-plan ancillary structure to SW of house, harl-pointed granite rubble; lean-to at centre of E elevation with boarded timber doors, window flanking to left; 2 gabled bays to outer left and right, garage to right, boarded timber door flanked to left by window at left; grey slate roof with decorative ironwork final.

Statement of Special Interest

Birsemore is a small settlement on the slope of Birsemore Hill on the S bank of the River Dee. The Alt Dinnie Burn runs to the W of the settlement, over what Dinnie describes as "good granite..... of similar colour to that of Peterhead" (p44). The remains of at least one quarry on the hill suggest that perhaps this was one reason for the development of this southern suburb of Aboyne. Birse Brae is without doubt the most unusually detailed villa in Birsemore, owing almost certainly to Mr Wright, the local granite merchant who built the house. A variety of masonry technique are used from high polished to rough-faced granite. The boldly oversized details combined with battered base give the villa a rogue gothic appearance.

References

Bibliography

R Dinnie, AN ACCOUNT OF THE PARISH OF BIRSE, HISTORICAL, STATISTICAL & ANTIQUARIAN, (1865), p44; 2nd (1903) EDITION OS MAP; J Coutts, DICTIONARY OF DEESIDE, (1899), p55; H Hamilton (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF ABERDEEN, (1960), p420.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BIRSEMORE, BIRSE BRAE, INCLDUING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 05:30