Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NM 14886 52358
114886, 752358


1835. Square-plan burial enclosure with prominent 3-bay N façade flanked by tall cruciform-plan ashlar corner towers with carved crucifixes. Pointed-arch entrance and smaller flanking blind arches linked by hoodmould. Stepped parapets to front and rear elevations; three carved sandstone strip details to side elevations and cruciform detail to rear. Rubble walls with sandstone dressings. Battered base course to towers; moulded parapet eaves course to principal elevation and towers; flat copes to wallheads. Margined quoins. Plain wrought-iron gate lying to interior.

Statement of Special Interest

The Maclean Burial Place is a well-proportioned memorial with some fine gothic style detailing, of good quality for its date and largely in its original condition. The enclosure is surprisingly ornate for its building type and remote location. The walls are in rubble with vertical sandstone insert details depicting circles and crosses; the rubble is presumed to have been harled when first constructed. The prominent corner towers, pediment and doorpiece are in finely tooled ashlar.

The building is remotely sited on a promontory to the SW of the Breachacha Castles, the former seat of the Macleans of Coll, to which it is directly related (see separate listings).

The burial place was commissioned by Alexander Maclean, 15th of Coll in 1835 on the death of his wife. He, his wife and a family friend were all interred here. When built there was a stone sarcophagus to the centre and an inscribed marble slab on the wall. Remnants of 8 stone finials survive misplaced to the interior and may have originated from either the wallhead or the sarcophagus.

The surrounds of the plaque with marble shell detail remain to the rear wall and a large marble plaque lies face down within the enclosure.

List description Revised 2008.



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (circa 1881). Betty MacDougall, Guide to Coll, (1975) p13. F Walker, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000) p502.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MACLEAN OF COLL BURIAL PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2024 22:03