Alan Reiach, 1963-1964. Single storey, square-plan pyramidal church with halls adjoining to SW. Facing bricks. Deep overhanging boarded timber eaves to church supported by steel girder columns; continuous horizontal band of clerestory windows below eaves to church.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; flat-roofed porch advanced to centre, 2 steps to 2-leaf timber door, flanked to left and right by 3-light glazed panels, single windows to left and right returns.
NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; boarded timber door reached by ramp off-centre to right.
NW ELEVATION: blank except clerestory windows (see above).
SW ELEVATION: blank, except clerestory windows (see above); halls adjoining to centre (see below).
Predominantly metal-framed windows. Copper pyramidal roof, glazed to stepped-back apex; copper steeply-pitched pyramidal belfry above, on 4 stilts, timber underside.
INTERIOR: brick lined nave with glazed timber doors; tiled and boarded timber floor; timber pews arranged at angles around central timber pulpit, font, lectern and communion table on raised plinth; boarded timber lining to tall pyramidal roof, timber grid to apex with rooflights and artificial lighting.
Single storey, T-plan church halls advanced from centre of SE Elevation of church.
SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; glazed timber door to right, flanked to left by long glazed corridor; kitchen and lavatory wing advanced to left, windows to right return with doorway stepped-forward to centre, 2-leaf timber door flanked by glazed panels; main hall stepped up and back to outer left, horizontal band of windows below roofline.
NE ELEVATION: adjoining church.
NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; band of windows to bays to right, bays to left stepped-forward with band of windows; main hall stepped back to outer right.
SW ELEVATION: main hall, continuous horizontal band of windows below roofline.
Predominantly timber-framed windows. Flat roof with vertical copper overhang to all but main hall.
INTERIOR: simple with boarded timber ceilings, except in main hall.
STEEL CROSS: large steel crucifix to S of church.
Statement of Special Interest
St Mungo's Parish Church is a striking landmark in the centre of Cumbernauld. Prominently sited on the top of a small hill, the bold copper pyramidal roof is an important landmark. Alan Reiach designed two churches in Cumbernauld, both of which can accommodate 800, Kildrum Church - the earlier of the two. Alan Reiach (1910-1992), who was apprenticed to Sir Robert Lorimer (1864-1929), was primarily involved in the design of public buildings, including churches, schools, universities and hospitals. Noteworthy features of St Mungo's Parish Church include the bold pyramidal roof, with apex of which forms a roof light lighting the nave of the church, and above this is a pyramidal belfry. The impressive Baltic redwood-lined interior gains natural light from the large central rooflight and clerestory windows.
NMRS, PLANS FOR ST MUNGO'S CHURCH, CUMBERNAULD, 1962 and 1964; THE SCOTSMAN, 13 February 1965; NMRS, REIACH AND HALL BROCHURE; R S Morton, ALAN REIACH A MEMOIR, (1989), p8-9 and p14; R S Morton, "RICH LEGACY OF A MASTER CRAFTSMAN", THE SCOTSMAN, 26 February 1990; R M Bailey, SCOTTISH ARCHITECTS' PAPERS: A SOURCE BOOK, (1996), p135, 219; M Glendinning, A MacKechnie,
R MacInnes, A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE, (1996), p590.
About Listed Buildings
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.
We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.
Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)
Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.
These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.
While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.
If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.
Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST MUNGO'S ROAD, ST MUNGO'S CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING HALLS, STEEL CROSS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 21/05/2022 16:04