Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GLAMIS ROAD, JAMES HAY JOINER, FORMER PLASH MILL WITH ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB46838

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/03/2000
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Kinghorn
NGR
NT 26918 87208
Coordinates
326918, 687208

Description

Late 18th to early 19th century. 2-storey and part-basement, 3-bay, rectangular-plan workshop on ground falling steeply to NE. Random rubble with squared rubble quoins and 1st floor margins, timber lintels to ground and brick margins to basement; timber clad ranges to NE and NW. Segmental-headed door with voussoirs.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with steps up to broad doorway and 2-leaf part-glazed timber door, windows in flanking bays and further horizontal basement window to outer right. 2 small windows close to eaves at 1st floor. 4 small traditional rooflights.

NE ELEVATION: projecting timber-clad bay to ground floor over brick basement with door and adjacent window to right, and window above, further windows on canted return to left, further projecting pantiled, lean-to range outer right. Small window off-centre right in gablehead.

NW ELEVATION: timber lean-to range to ground floor, with timber-braced support to outer right angle over mill-lade?, and 2 small windows close to eaves at 1st floor and small traditional rooflight off-centre left.

SW ELEVATION: corrugated-iron roof and boarded timber NW wall to ancillary building projecting at ground over wheel-pit?. Small window off-centre left in gablehead.

Small-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case and fixed windows, vertical astragals to basement and timber-clad NE bay. Slate, pantiles and corrugated-iron. Coped rubble stacks with thackstanes and ashlar-coped skews.

BOUNDARY WALLS: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as a plash mill and powered, along with three other flax and cotton spinning mills, by the Loch Burn which passes beneath the building.

References

Bibliography

John Shaw WATER POWER IN SCOTLAND 1550-1870 (1984), pp 254 and 327. Kinghorn Historical Society KINGHORN HISTORICAL TRAIL NO 2 (1991), p9.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLAMIS ROAD, JAMES HAY JOINER, FORMER PLASH MILL WITH ANCILLARY BUILDINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/07/2021 11:04