Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

32 WEST STREET, FORMER SOUTH CHURCH MANSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS AND GATESLB46830

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
09/03/2000
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Burgh
Penicuik
NGR
NT 23422 59812
Coordinates
323422, 659812

Description

Later 19th century, circa 1862. 2-storey, 3-bay classical house, built as manse for South Church (see separate listing). Stugged ashlar principal elevation, remainder stugged, squared and snecked sandstone. Base course; cill course at 1st floor; block cornice; blocking course surmounted by central tablet. Projecting cills. Strip quoin at 1st floor to left.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced porch centred at ground, surmounted by block pediment, deep frieze, broad panelled pilasters flanking recessed former 2-leaf, 4-panel timber door, with glazed upper panels and decorative rectangular lozenge-patterned fanlight. Windows in remaining bays at ground; regular fenestration to 1st floor. Chamfered corner at ground to left, swept to square at 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: barred window to left of centre at ground; recessed later doorway to outer left at ground, comprising 2-leaf metal door, rolled steel beam as lintel.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: infilled doorway to right of centre at ground. Irregularly fenestrated; window to left of centre and barred window to outer left at ground, pair of windows centred at 1st floor, windows to outer left and right at 1st floor.

W ELEVATION: blank elevation, with pair of infilled irregular doors centred at ground.

INTERIOR: not seen, 1999.

Predominantly 8-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Stugged ashlar wallhead stacks; corniced, with circular cans.

BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS AND GATES: low ashlar wall to street, with saddleback coping, stepped up to right, surmounted by iron railings with some floreate finials, iron gates at centre and left.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group formed with West Street Hall, West Street (see separate listing) for their juxtaposition and inter-relationship on a strategic site, and for their historical interest.

West Street Hall was the first church of Penicuik's Free Church congregation, formed in 1843. When the growing congregation deemed the site too small, Sir George Clerk of Penicuik gave land to the south of the River North Esk on the Peebles Road for a new church designed by F T Pilkington (Penicuik South Church, see separate listing). Sir George Clerk also gave land adjacent to the church in West Street for the building of a manse, and 32 West Street was used as such until the building of a larger manse on Bog Road in 1896. After the new manse was built, 32 West Street was used as a police station, with a cell block at the rear, and later as a copper craft work. In 1978 the site came up for sale, and the building and grounds were re-bought by the South Church.

References

Bibliography

shown on 1st (1852) and 2nd (1892) edition OS Maps.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 32 WEST STREET, FORMER SOUTH CHURCH MANSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL, RAILINGS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 23:00