Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

RENTON SCHOOL (FORMER) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB46646

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/01/2000
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Coldingham
NGR
NT 82306 64560
Coordinates
382306, 664560

Description

Erected 1840; rebuilt and enlarged 1887 (dated). Single storey, near T-plan former school. Whinstone rubble; cream and pink sandstone dressings. Moulded eaves course; stugged quoins and long and short surrounds to openings (predominantly chamfered); sandstone mullions and transoms; flush cills.

NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: projecting gable end to left with stepped tripartite window centred at ground (2-pane upper light to centre; continuous stepped hoodmould); louvred attic opening centred in finialled gablehead. 3-bay range recessed to right with gabled dormerhead to bipartite window breaking eaves at centre (2-pane upper lights); single windows flanking at ground.

SE (SIDE/ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-bay block to right with decorative wallhead stack at centre (plaque inscribed 'Erected by Public Subscription 1840, Rebuilt 1887'); tripartite windows flanking at ground. Lower, 2-bay block adjoined to left with boarded timber door to right; 2-pane fanlight; corbel-bracketed, crowstepped gable breaking eaves above with central panel inscribed 'Boys'; single window at ground to left. Boarded timber door in lean-to addition recessed to outer left.

SW (REAR) ELEVATION: projecting gable end to right with lean-to addition at ground. 2-bay wing recessed to left with single windows in both bays (flanking central wallhead stack); piended entrance in re-entrant angle to right.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting gable end off-set to left of centre with bipartite window centred at ground (2-pane upper lights); louvred attic opening centred in finialled gablehead. 2-bay range recessed to right with steps to projecting entrance to left with timber panelled door; 2-pane fanlight; single window to right. Steps to boarded timber door in lean-to addition recessed to outer right. Single window in bay recessed to outer left.

Predominantly 6-pane timber glazing with upper hoppers. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews; bracketed skewputts. Decorative sandstone wallhead stack to SE; brick-built wallhead stack to SW; circular cans.

INTERIOR: principal block with boarded timber floor; boarded timber dado; timber panelled doors; combed ceiling.

BOUNDARY WALLS: arched coping to heavily-pointed rubble walls enclosing site.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in use as a school. A well-detailed, little-altered structure, particularly notable for the fact that it was originally erected soon after the first Education (Scotland) Act and re-worked in response to the second. Until 1872, the heritors of the parish, the proprietor of Renton and the Earl of Home contributed towards the teacher's salary. In 1873 the school was taken over by the School Board of Coldingham, and in 1887 it was rebuilt and enlarged. A photograph published by Thomson shows a louvred ridge vent with tapering spire originally surmounted the main block (now missing).

References

Bibliography

Sharp, Greenwood & Fowler's map, 1826 (not evident). Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (marked as 'Houndwood School'). A Thomson COLDINGHAM: PARISH AND PRIORY (1908) pp175-176.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RENTON SCHOOL (FORMER) INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 02:16